WANTED - Ptarmigan SCRA (T) Parts, Subset

Foxtrott363

• 6 months later...

I don't think I've ever seen either of those come up for sale, but it's worth keeping an eye on eBay because odd things do pop up from time to time.  Unfortunately most sellers don't know what Ptarmigan equipment is, so it's often mis-labelled as Clansman.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

The PTD had the crypto fill in it, the CIG was the actual encryption unit, you used to fill the CIG, then remove and lock your PTD away, next power failure or wipe, you then used the PTD to refill... or along those lines

Having worked in crypto for a good few year, I have seen these at shows and museums and get a bit twitchy!!

I guess as Ptarmigan is no longer in use its probably all declassified and available but not much use without the Switch to programme the PTD...

No friends in Crypto...!

On 9/13/2020 at 8:13 PM, Foxtrott363 said:

Got nearly all ancilliaries complete, but the TX/ RX and CIG are still missing?

Does anyone have some sources for this equipment?

Have you thought of contacting the Royal Signals Museum in Blandford, they may be able to help you out?

46 minutes ago, OzH said:

Have you thought of contacting the Royal Signals Museum in Blandford, they may be able to help you out?

No, I havn't. Not sure if they'll help out a private collector. Been there last year and they had a set in their exhibition.

48 minutes ago, OzH said:

The PTD had the crypto fill in it, the CIG was the actual encryption unit, you used to fill the CIG, then remove and lock your PTD away, next power failure or wipe, you then used the PTD to refill... or along those lines

Having worked in crypto for a good few year, I have seen these at shows and museums and get a bit twitchy!!

I guess as Ptarmigan is no longer in use its probably all declassified and available but not much use without the Switch to programme the PTD...

No friends in Crypto...!

Ok, didn't know that the CIG had that capability.

• 1 month later...