R.A.F markings and type number

Jolien

hello friends,

we have a 1938 chevrolet c15a that has served as a radio car for the RAF.  we have given it the blue color because we want to imitate the early war.  what we don't know is which RAF number the vehicle should get and which command number.  we thought the command number was F / 11 because this is a radio car.  we would also like to know how large the roundel should be on the sides and back of the radio cabin and what the color codes are.  we would like to have had some help with this.

Thank you in advance.

Jolien from belgium

Edited by Jolien

15 minutes ago, Jolien said:

hello friends,

we have a 1938 chevrolet c15a that has served as a radio car for the RAF.  we have given it the blue color because we want to imitate the early war.  what we don't know is which RAF number the vehicle should get and which command number.  we thought the command number was F / 11 because this is a radio car.  we would also like to know how large the roundel should be on the sides and back of the radio cabin and what the color codes are.  we would like to have had some help with this.

Thank you in advance.

Jolien from belgium

?change_section=1&title=WW2%20RAF%20vehi

8 minutes ago, Ian L said:

RAF-groep F / 11 was een niet-vliegend station.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._11_Group_RAF   Ik heb mijn RAF-voertuigen als B / 11, dat was Bomber commandotraining, voornamelijk Vickers Wellingtons.

Thanks for your help.  then I think we also go for the B / 11.  I just want to know what type of vehicle I have, the RAF number, the size of the roundel on the sides of the radio cabin and the color codes.  thank you in advance.  Jolien

1 hour ago, Jolien said:

Thanks for your help.  then I think we also go for the B / 11.  I just want to know what type of vehicle I have, the RAF number, the size of the roundel on the sides of the radio cabin and the color codes.  thank you in advance.  Jolien

Jolien  My mistake I put B / 11 which doesn't exist, it should of read B / 91 which I have now eddied my post.

tell me what you want & I'll look it up F for fighter groups & B for Bomber, you could go for some thing sexier than a training group.    

12 minutes ago, Ian L said:

Jolien Mijn fout die ik heb gezet B / 11 die niet bestaat, zou moeten lezen B / 91 die ik nu mijn bericht heb aangepast.

vertel me wat je wilt & ik zal het opzoeken F voor jagersgroepen & B voor bommenwerper, je zou iets sexiers kunnen doen dan een trainingsgroep.    

hello Ian,

I would have liked the RAF identification number of the vehicle, the color codes of the roundel and the correct dimensions so that I can make this for the vehicle and the correct command that fits the vehicle.  we have found an identification number but do not know whether it is suitable for the vehicle.  RAF160116.  hopefully you will find an answer to these questions.

thank you in advance.

ofycpcpu.jpg

• Like 1

Jolien, 

I have replied in the other thread to this.

The image in that book is of a vehicle in use with 2TAF, they painted roundels on place of the invasions stars.

EDIT: My mistake, just checked the book and it is not 2TAF as the photo was taken after the war. It is in fact serving with BAFO

Edited by RAFMT
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RAFMT said:

Jolien, 

Ik heb hierop in de andere thread geantwoord.

De afbeelding in dat boek is van een voertuig in gebruik met 2TAF, ze schilderden roundels op de plaats van de invasiessterren.

BEWERKEN: Mijn fout, heb net het boek gecontroleerd en het is geen 2TAF omdat de foto na de oorlog is genomen. Het dient in feite bij BAFO

Hello, thanks for the info.  it is impossible for us to put it in the green again.  maybe to the later future.  Do you have any idea what may be allowed to do to re-enact RAF?  on the internet we found about the same vehicle as ours, also in blue but the codes were incorrect, we think.  thank you in advance

18 minutes ago, Jolien said:

Hello, thanks for the info.  it is impossible for us to put it in the green again.  maybe to the later future.  Do you have any idea what may be allowed to do to re-enact RAF?  on the internet we found about the same vehicle as ours, also in blue but the codes were incorrect, we think.  thank you in advance

hello, can you tell me which numbers should be on it when the vehicle is painted green?  Then we know that those numbers are correct and we can change the color in the future.  because we are stuck with hands and don't know what to do anymore.  if we already have the correct numbers, the vehicle is right on that level.  thank you in advance.

36 minutes ago, RAFMT said:

Jolien, 

I have replied in the other thread to this.

The image in that book is of a vehicle in use with 2TAF, they painted roundels on place of the invasions stars.

EDIT: My mistake, just checked the book and it is not 2TAF as the photo was taken after the war. It is in fact serving with BAFO

hello, can you tell me which numbers should be on it when the vehicle is painted green?  Then we know that those numbers are correct and we can change the color in the future.  because we are stuck with hands and don't know what to do anymore.  if we already have the correct numbers, the vehicle is right on that level.  thank you in advance.

52 minutes ago, Maurice said:

Again , the truck was never with that body during WW2 , it is a post war trailer body . So leave the truck without numbers , that would be more correct than putting something on .

hello Maurice, how do you know about that trailer body?  we find very little to nothing about this vehicle.  thank you in advance

This vehicle was once owned by Tony Budge , after the Budge collection was sold , your truck ended up in Belgium , it used to be Dessert yellow with black sprayed on camouflage , the Body had underneath gloss Deep bronze green paint , the truck itself didn`t , On Maple leaf up there was already discussion about this truck in the past there you will also find pictures from the trailer with the body on , I will try to look for the picture with the trailer , This truck was delivered with the Standard GS drop side body .

10 minuten geleden zei Maurice:

attachmentFJ69VLFO.jpg

Hello maurice, do you still have the link on which this discussion took place?  Then we can also find out more about our vehicle.  What can we do to make the vehicle as original as possible?  Is the trailer (without container) also post-war?

I have a copy of Military Training Pamphlet No 74 Rafting and Bridging that list Army and RAF vehicle types along with their bridging classifications - the pamphlet is dated April 1944 so covers vehicle types used in northern Europe - while Chevrolet C-15A's are mentioned they only refer to vehicles used by the Army - RAF  Chevrolet types are confined to 4x2  3-ton-GS this list may have omissions and I am unable to find any WW-2 era photos of Cheves in RAF use in NW-Europe - if type correct for the RAF the roundel is most likely hand painted roughly on the side of the rear body with its reg/census number on the front bumper and at the back with the type designation on the left hand side of the body in white - the vehicle is very unlikely to be blue in colour - the manufacture date of 1938 is odd - the first contract number I can find on the Chilwell list for wireless telegraphy House bodied Chevrolets 30-cwt  4x4's lorries is L-4952859 to 4953033 Contract number SM-2567 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 3:02 PM, Jolien said:

Hello maurice, do you still have the link on which this discussion took place?  Then we can also find out more about our vehicle.  What can we do to make the vehicle as original as possible?  Is the trailer (without container) also post-war?

That trailer looks postwar ? very 50s look to those wheels & hitch.

5 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Probably missed something but I don't see the connection to the thread to this trailer I used to own. Cipher Office Light on 1 Ton Trailer circa 1957

I think he intends to tow It behind his 1938 CMP ? as a matched pair.