1929 Leyland SQ2 WW8761

Scrunt & Farthing

On 3/21/2020 at 10:33 PM, Doc said:

Evening.

Funny how most things yield when you show them the hydraulic puller.

Pretty sure the part you require is on one of my brother's spare engines. Once movement restrictions have been relaxed you'll be able to come see for yourself.

Was tidying my desk at work this week in preparation for "working from home" and stumbled across the list of new felt seals I had made for David's lorry. So, when the time comes, give me a shout and I can send you the list and put you on to the company that made them, or I can get them for you.

Regards

Doc 

Edited by Scrunt & Farthing

Dave,

You should find the intermediate gear simply slides off the shaft. It may appear tight as the gear is really two gears with a coil spring inside. Anti back-lash presumably. But it might also be tight! Shaft may well draw with the gear. Key-slot in the end of the shaft should align with a key in the small 4- bolt plate  on the timing cover.

Good luck!

Doc (Andy)

• Like 1

As you are cleaning down the engine  can you check if there any stamped marks that link back to an engine number. I'm thinking of identifying engines that have had the brass ID removed. 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:24 AM, Scrunt & Farthing said:

Hi NZ2,

I have been carefully bagging and recording everything that came with my project, and have just recorded the engine unit number:DSC03520.thumb.JPG.d682a24b329611c9a7f831bda1dc5276.JPGNow, this is the number off of the main engines (remains thereof), the other skellington (sic) does not have a number that I have found - as of yet.   I still need to get the chassis serial number and have not forgotten.

Cheers

Dave (S&F)

Where was this plate on the engine as it is of a different size to the other plates seen. This is like one for a back axle, gearbox  housing or even the gear shift.

Doug 

The tags like the one pictured are all over Leylands of this period and they are generally the part No which were allocated sequentially from around 1906. The parts list which I have printed off so far don't cover this number which could be used as a cross reference. The engine No is on a squarish brass plate midway on the right side of the crankcase and includes build date.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:08 PM, Scrunt & Farthing said:

Thanks mammoth and nz2.  I just checked in the location mammoth advised, and there are four small brass screws - and no plate... on either crankcase!

The more I investigate the more I learn or surmise what is missing, or has been removed to restore other units.  Tis the nature of the game I suppose, and providing one has time, money and beer there is not much I can do fretting about it.   Now the V5 does have a number, I shall check that later when in the attic room.

Cheers all,

Dave

Dave, Can you clean up that ID plate. That would give us a clue to where it came from. The symbol at the top is strange, for normally it is the first letters of the part. BA for back axle, FA for front axle. GB for gear box , GC  for gate change. 

On 4/2/2020 at 9:00 PM, mammoth said:

The tags like the one pictured are all over Leylands of this period and they are generally the part No which were allocated sequentially from around 1906. The parts list which I have printed off so far don't cover this number which could be used as a cross reference. The engine No is on a squarish brass plate midway on the right side of the crankcase and includes build date.

I take it the list you have has a cross reference between these unit parts plates allocated to individual vehicles and part numbers. Does that list extend out to chassis numbers with the numbers of the component unit parts used. That would be very handy in dating  parts  picked up ie gearboxes and axles.

Doug

• Like 1

The parts list (which is humungous and all written in hand) has no cross referencing to chassis or engine numbers etc. Mike Sutcliffe scanned it all and I bought a digital copy. However as they are sequential there is a date when they first appeared. An example is my  1924 C model (3 ton) which has pneumatic hubs on the rear. (From memory) these were introduced on the parts list in 1924 but did not appear on the sales data sheets until after 1925. So we can deduce that the hubs could possibly be either original fitment as a special, or a later upgrade.

From my collection of RAF type wrecks it appears that items such as complete gearbox and rear axles were given a number in the same way an engine was, however I don't know if there is a surviving record of those numbers.

• Like 1

I too did a search for No. 19774 in the Leyland parts book #3, but unfortunately No.'s 19150 to 19999 are blank with the term "reserved" in the margin - a new project?  The only thing that can be said is that the numbering either side of the missing series suggests these were parts designed in mid 1917.  There are more numbers with descriptions missing scattered down the pages... including from 20015 to 20059 with the note "3Gl(?) Experimental Engine".  It seems filing, or non-filing in our case, of consecutive numbers for a project was a tricky process before the age of computers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redherring said:

I too did a search for No. 19774 in the Leyland parts book #3, but unfortunately No.'s 19150 to 19999 are blank with the term "reserved" in the margin - a new project?  The only thing that can be said is that the numbering either side of the missing series suggests these were parts designed in mid 1917.  There are more numbers with descriptions missing scattered down the pages... including from 20015 to 20059 with the note "3Gl(?) Experimental Engine".  It seems filing, or non-filing in our case, of consecutive numbers for a project was a tricky process before the age of computers.

5 hours ago, Redherring said:

Sandy; Those numbers on that form of plate are a serial number for that item; ie a complete gearbox. back axle etc. just like a chassis number.  I wonder what the 3Gl engine was and what parts were different to those otherwise used  on other engines.

Does it give a date for the 3Gl?

Doug

1 hour ago, Redherring said:

Ahhh... sorry to mislead you, but having reread the hieroglyphics and spun it over in my head... it actually reads "3 cylinder" experimental engine. Wonder what that was?

That would be a new parts list. Crank, cam and block.

other stamps would be to do with quality control ie an inspector or the team that assembled the unit. Wonder if the upside down numbers & letters are deliberate?

Going back a bit regarding the C model hubs - yes mine are like that, the half shafts have star ends which fit loose in the hub caps. My original front axle is missing..

• Like 1

Those additional stamped marks is something I had not observed on the parts here. Then again the plates have not been cleaned up so those lighter stampings will be hidden under years of dust and grit.  Another task therefore to go out and clean vehicles ID plates and record the inspection stamps. Like Mammoth says, probably inspectors stamps. What is now called QA

This query on the plates has caused me to look over the items in storage, and photos of those elsewhere,  and up date the Leyland data base to include more of the plates as used on assembled parts. Shows some vehicles have had swaps of engines, gearboxes, rear axles etc, as these are way out of order  to what should have been a sequence. 

.Doug