Hi New Member, new Jeep

steviem

On 2/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, earlymb said:

I think the engine is post-war CJ but it will work just fine in a WW2 jeep without any trouble.

I might have been wrong with this as it seems some 1945 MB's were already fitted with sprocket gear blocks too!

• Thanks 1

Thanks bud, i was assured it is correct but with a replaced head, hopefully i will be able to get it out of the garage this weekend and have a good look around, i am still waiting for the DVLA so no rush.

The Jeep actually has a birthday today,, 76 years young.

Popped up to see the old girl today and squeezed a few more pictures, removed the tank filler cap and had a look inside pretty clean with a few rust spots, brake pedal stuck solid, gears select although 2nd is a bit stiff, tried the lights only a rear light came on, rotary switch would only allow one position, still waiting on the DVLA a week and half, is no news good news, Dropped a little WD40 here and there to soak whilst waiting.

Steve

20200307_151244.jpg

20200307_151549.jpg

20200307_152239.jpg

20200307_152410.jpg

20200307_153048.jpg

20200307_153054.jpg

20200307_153345.jpg

20200307_153403.jpg

20200307_153411.jpg

20200307_153435.jpg

, nice to see the original chassis tag in the bottom pic, it needs a Very Gentle clean. its fragile alluminium, if the dvla want to inspect the jeep, they will want to see the tag and read the chassis number, they do not inspect all applications

Edited by Nick Johns
  • Thanks 1

3 weeks sounds about right to get things processed once the DVLA have all the paperwork. I thought everyone had to get the MVT or IMPS to do the age verification and the confirm the vehicle is as stated? One you have your NOVA and age verification certs it is then just a question of sending it to the DVLA and then wait about 3 weeks. This has been the experience of most people I know.

• Like 1

I think I have heard about SGS, they do the same job as the MVT or IMPs and will do the actual verification that the serial numbers and vehicle seem correct for their declared age. I was just interested in the verification process because it does seem to vary. I've been told the MVT have been instructed by the DVLA that the vehicle must be in running order and nearly complete and should be fairly original and not too many replacement parts. Bottom line though is once you get a registration plate it doesn't matter.

All very confusing but more importantly forget about the paperwork and enjoy restoring your jeep - and then enjoy driving it!

• Like 1

The MVT verified my GPW without a visit; from a description by me and a number of photographs of the vehicle, its serial and various period and Ford features. The Jeep was at the end of its restoration when I applied to the MVT and then the DVLA. I seem to recall they they would only verify a virtually complete vehicle, though I don't recall whether they would verify one prior to stripping it down. 

• Like 1

Jessie the Jeep - when did the MVT verify your vehicle as I thought they were supposed to actually see the vehicle? I know many years ago a lot was done over the phone but was told they are now stricter. You hear so many different stories that it is hard to give new restorers like Steve any proper advice. I'm just interested because I have a friend who has just got a vehicle which needs a fair bit of work and he has been asking what he should do about the DVLA

• Like 1

Thanks guys i will keep you informed, i was told not to start or strip anything until they had been out it is not started never mind nearly done, the jeep does run, steer etc put the brake pedal is stuck solid so i will not drive.

Hi  your jeep looks a good project for you I build jeeps for a living they are not difficult to work on just get on with it this is the last one I did it went back to America a ford gpw from this to this the usmc is my last jeep for myself if you need any advice get in touch 

1 just picked it up.jpg

39.JPG

P1000625.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, just sent the nova, proof of export etc no photos i guess about 3 weeks or so,

going to get it started removing/tagging the smaller details then the front end strip.

my father in law has taken ill so i will have to bide my time with it.