Rescuing my WD16H

Norton.rider

The satin finish is more durable and protective, but as you found can look over shiny.  But it weathers.  You will find by the end of the Summer that the shine dies down.  I actually painted my Matchless using only a brush and the finish was very even......at least with the paint I used which was very forgiving.  Some folk use a roller.......probably better on large flat areas.  When I replaced the petrol tank, I did use my spray gun, but that is just a cheap one, more often used for doing fences!  Nevertheless, with olive drab it sprayed very evenly and looked great.....until the petrol got it!  But for me, I really dont need a flawless finish as I think these bikes look MUCH better with a used look, which is far more authentic for something in-service rather than factory fresh (actually, probably much better than the factory bothered to produce).  Depends what you want to replicate.

Thanks mate yeah I prefer the used look which is probably why it was such a shock to the system seeing how shiny it is. Great news though today I sussed a solid plan out of what I'm going to do now. Using the now scc.2 brown metal plant pot to experiment with some matt and satin lacquer. 

While at the same time I over painted the sides of the oil tank which were rough as I'd under sprayed them to get it looking matt. Great news is the paint filled in all the dibets and I got the same smooth finish I did on the headlight shell.

The tank finish is 7 light coats 2-3 hands distance.

Headlight shell is 3 coats hit hard. 

All got red oxide underneath which is silky smooth by Simoniz 

Filmed the experiments in the latest video :)

37 minutes ago, Norton.rider said:

Thanks mate yeah I prefer the used look which is probably why it was such a shock to the system seeing how shiny it is. Great news though today I sussed a solid plan out of what I'm going to do now. Using the now scc.2 brown metal plant pot to experiment with some matt and satin lacquer. 

While at the same time I over painted the sides of the oil tank which were rough as I'd under sprayed them to get it looking matt. Great news is the paint filled in all the dibets and I got the same smooth finish I did on the headlight shell.

The tank finish is 7 light coats 2-3 hands distance.

Headlight shell is 3 coats hit hard. 

All got red oxide underneath which is silky smooth by Simoniz 

Filmed the experiments in the latest video :)

Hi,

You will find that this paint takes a week or so to cure fully, especially this time of year and will matt down without needing matt lacquer or paste. Also you might find reducing the amount of thinners will give you less shine. I never have any issues with this paint and have done a lot of vehicles with it over the years.

Today's video shows a good finish, just leave it for a week and check it again, although the weather is sunny it is not warm enough to cure the paint quickly.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

The headlight shell does seem to be getting way better. Been really enjoying the learning curve. Said to dad a moment ago I'm feeling so much more confident about it now I've got a solid plan. 

Soon as the next lot of paint arrives on Tuesday I'm gonna get the rest of the bike to the same level as the headlight seems to be far smoother than the tank. Then I'll leave it as you said for week or two. 

Using aerosol cans :) in the future I'm hoping to get some propper spray equipment. 

Good thing is when I tried the oil tank which had the rough finish. With the last of my paint it smoothed out great so that should save on paint as it only took 2 coats. 

Constantly learning :) I'm sure in a few years itl be quite fun looking back at the videos an I'll still be learning then no doubt.

One of the best bits of advice I received was to spray a little light coat on your thinners tin when you start. Then as it dries, you can touch the paint on the can and when you pull your finger away and the can sticks, put a heavier coat on your part and the paint won’t run (within reason).

Thanks Chris appreciate that advice.

Huge day today :) Happy with the paint work now that needs about a week to dry and matt itself down like the headlight then its census numbers Norton logos and lacquer speaking of Lacquer I've moved onto testing a few different brands the speedo is with hycote matt 3 coats next to the bare paint. 
Thanks to everyone for all the advice the paint came out brilliant on the 2nd go.

20200324-172734-02.jpg
20200324-170456-01.jpg
20200324-141149-01.jpg
20200324-164851-01.jpg
20200324-190013.jpg

• Like 1

Huge progress today got the matt lacquer applied to most of the bike was really hot out with low humidity an the forecast looks really bad for next week so decided to go for it! Seems like it was the right choice. From where she was the other week to where she is now learnt loads on my painting technique with aerosol cans.

Just gotta decide on which way I'm going with the tank markings now.

20200326-162216-02.jpg
20200326-171655-05.jpg
20200326-172141-01.jpg
20200326-153118-01.jpg
20200326-171931-02.jpg
20200326-153101-02.jpg

Exciting news thanks to the help of Geoff  Fletcher via the Raf. I've got the original wartime Raf number for mine to put on the tank shes RAF167554 Exciting stuff didn't think I had a cats chance of finding it out. Been interesting as Steve S put a picture up on the bsa nl forum of one 103 away from mine numbers wise with a vokes filter on the tank. Ron's shown me some to an Rik of some sidecars with similar numbers. Really awesome to see.

Just curious guys how do the vokes filters mount on the Norton tanks?

Edited by Norton.rider

Made a bit of progress today had a workshop day inside an did some more work on the wheels the rear is ready for red oxiding now.

Re fitted the mudguards to. Screwed up at first as I followed the original pics I took of my bike an put the front stays to the outside oops! Was chatting with Horror when I noticed it thanks for the reference pics mate. 

Got a bit emotional talking about the Raf numbers on her. Still so happy that I managed to find them out.  

Not to sure on my throttle grip now least I've got something to use if I need to, think its a Matchless Bowdon one think I know what you were mentioning now Ron. 

Rather hunt for the right one before I get the Canvas grips onto her an need to sort the remaining levers as well.

Need to sus out the screw size for the doherty air an advance levers.

Gonna inspect the oil pump tomorrow an then I can get the magneto back on to an start looking at timing the engine up while I'm waiting to sort the remaining parts.

Just weighing up Raf roundels the ones that I've seen within my number range seem to have RAF+number on the tank or on the front mudguard blade. 

Then the RAF roundel on the sidecar. With my Sidecar missing I had a look at a few of the solo's. Seen a few with roundels on the front mudguard and seen a few with them on two locations on the tank on multiple raf pics. Seemed like it varied a bit. 
Then saw an Ariel with the roundel on the mudguard and the tank and a bsa with a white part of the mudguard blade with the raf number painted on that so it's visible from above.

Then the tank Keith showed me on Rob's website in scc.2 with the raf roundels on.

Thinking most likley I'm gonna go with the R.A.F. on one line then my number just below on the tank like in two pictures I've seen then see what rooms left.

This was quite a cool pic of some early RAF bikes.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205448328

Edited by Norton.rider

Hey everyone on the hunt for the following bits in no particular order :)

rear later rack.
1" bar end cap. x1
1" clutch lever assy. Or parts later type lever blades
1" brake lever assy. Or parts later type lever blades 
1" Norton throttle grip.
Fuel line.
Full set of control cables.
1" horn button.
Du42 Headlight with blackout.
rear panniers.
Late type oil tank.
Field stand.
Passenger footrests.

Wouldn't mind a vokes as well but that's further down the line

Cheers,

Tom 

Decided to try some sizing on the original wartime number for my World War 2 RAF Norton. She's Raf167554 pretty amazing to put her original number against the tank for the first time possibly since ww2.

Not sure on the roundel yet have seen original pictures of earlier contracts with it on the tank an two pictures from my contract with just the raf lettering.

Originally the sidecar would have had the raf roundel on the sidecar. Hence the earlier pictures which were solos having it on the tank.

Pretty sure the roundel was the type without the yellow ring.

Ensign tyres came today as well :) an I spent some time today working on fixing a paint issue with fish eyes in the primer on the rear wheel pretty sure I've got that sussed now.

Edited by Norton.rider

Hi guys I'm the worst for going off topic haha so don't worry about it whatever keeps us sane + I'm interesting in getting along to all these things with you guys if you don't mind a tag along when the time comes:)

That's good that you can change your date on the ferry Ron.

Who's everyone using for control cable components in the uk ?  Gonna have a go at making my control cables next week if I can get some bits ordered. Gonna need one of the clutch/brake adjusters as well got one I can remove from an original toolkit I found in the toolbox.

Waiting on primer turning up again so trying to sus out the next steps on the bike while I'm at a total stop managed to fix the fisheye issue with the primer on the rear paint.

Is it worth buying a full kit like the Venhill ones or another supplier?

Having a hunt for the waterslide transfer for the raf roundel an which type to use. Saw a document via Rik that mentioned 44 they started using a transfer.

Thanks in advance :)

Just been going through all the Raf pictures I've been building up thanks to everyone as reference for doing my markings,

Got 7 separate pics with RAF roundels on the front mudguard including two combo's.

Got 3 pics with the RAF original wartime Number on the Petrol tank one with the Roundel below where the Norton logo sits with the RAF original wartime number.
Two of these are potentially from my contract I say potentially as only part of the number is visible on one of the pictures.

One That Steve posted in the other thread that has the RAF original wartime number on the number plate + One Rob an Rik posted with just the RAF number on the number plate.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205448328

Interestingly a document Rik showed me relating to RAF vehicle markings mentioned in 44' the roundel was a transfer. Another post on Hmvf mentioned after speaking to the RAF Museum the roundel size was 3.5 inches which seems to add up with what I set my test one to comparison wise to what they look like in the pictures size wise.

Seem's to be a bit of variance seen a few with an without the Norton logo as well both on solo's an combo's.

Just hunting for somewhere that can do a waterslide think that's the type to use for a RAF Decal an which exact roundel to use least I've got the size sussed.

http://woodair.net/Aviation/roundels/RAF_Roundels.htm
Stumbled on this which was interesting that shows an original decal down at the bottom from a car.

No Progress on bits today although I used some of the brush on primer on the rear wheel so I can sand that smooth tomorrow for paint an lacquer. Hopefully have her back on her wheels mid next week ready for me attempting to do the Raf Number.

Seeing I removed the number plate (was the wrong plate size anyway) I'm gonna stick the RAF number on the tank.

Some Red Oxide spray I ordered a few weeks ago is actually shipped so hopefully I can do the front wheel with the spray rather than brush on.

Am I right in saying the clutch an brake levers for 44' on are the pressed type with the gap at the back? Gonna start hunting for some. Tend to remember Ron showing me at some point but I've forgot.

Just wanna say thanks again to everyone that's been advising and helping with bits huge help.

Edited by Norton.rider

Painting the rear wheel :) really happy with the result 3 coats of Simoniz Red Oxide Primer, 3 coats of War Paint Farrant Brown and 3 coats of Hycoat Matt Lacquer. At the same time I touched my mudguard up where it had picked a few chips up.

Hope you are all safe and enjoying the lil mini videos feel free to subscribe an check out the other 20 mini videos in the series playlist.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a decent workshop day today on the Norton got the new tyres fitted with the original levers from my 650ss :) feels great to see her sat on the wheels again! 

Next step is to paint the Raf Erm and roundels on + the Norton logo that'll be exciting!!