Help with military history freight rover van

Rob landy

Hello and I remember driving the passenger version Sherpa, used to be a bit embarrassing if 2 passenger's were in the front and the nearest one to me as the driver was a female who I had never met, as when changing gears my hand was against her thigh, always made no comment or observation think they knew was the design of the vehicle.

There were two versions an Sherpa and a wider wheel base and cant remember the name of it

This one has sat in a garden in London for the last 13 years it’s got 60k on the clock and is so clean underneath it was pulled out the garden last weekend and still has a clutch and brake pedal! Unfortunately the engine had 11 ltrs of rain water in it when I took the sump plug out and is seized solid 🤦‍♂️

I Remember seeing sherpas with what the yanks call stakeback bodies at an open day at a Wethersfield they had german shepherds in the back and it must have been about 1987/88.At the time i had a taxi at Witham in Essex and often picked up US military from Witham station i remember one day a guy was drinking from one of those wine sacks around his neck no problem always well behaved

A bloke at Darlington by name of Bob Isles (Isles Transport , being his legit business) , he was a  'time-served'  "restorer" of artic trailers , premises was the Darlington Forge main building.   About 1970/71 he had part of the forge & his yard stacked  four high with Jeeps.    He specialized in purchase from US Forces in UK  (so he told me)  - when he was showing me ISO containers full of cans of OD paint & Jeep engines (crated).  Actually - these Jeep were very slow moovers and many were all good. Some time in the 80's he moved on to Sherpa pick-ups -  there was still a few being used by builders in D'ton and surrounding area around Y2K.  

Caught sight of one down the side of a house in Devon May time last year. My other half well she wasn't best pleased at my stopping to look.  It was the colour that first caught my attention a day or so previous, the colour looked the shade the US-Air Force used on Sherpas they had around Mildenhall and Lakenheath a while back and yes it was ex-US forces under the flaky paint. It was in a bit of a state and sadly it wasn’t for sale. I’m sure if one arrived on the show scene condescending voices would be heard 

1 hour ago, Baz48 said:

Caught sight of one down the side of a house in Devon May time last year. My other half well she wasn't best pleased at my stopping to look.  It was the colour that first caught my attention a day or so previous, the colour looked the shade the US-Air Force used on Sherpas they had around Mildenhall and Lakenheath a while back and yes it was ex-US forces under the flaky paint. It was in a bit of a state and sadly it wasn’t for sale. I’m sure if one arrived on the show scene condescending voices would be heard 

Why condescending voices? I know there not everybody’s cup of tea but I repair series and defender Landrovers so thought it would be nice to have.

I can't say I'm have seen one on the road for a long time, took an RN one from Dundee to Bisley and remember it over heating at the M3 no oil bought 2 bottle and couldn't get my money back, the fuel card was only for fuel no oil, the other thing I remember was they always felt unstable in strong winds

5 hours ago, Hair Bear said:

Something in the mist of memory tells me the engine was a Perkins Prima. Also fitted to Austin Maestro and Montego diesels.

My civvy Leyland  Sherpa had a 1.7 litre O series engine, earlier ones had 1.8 litre B series engines, I believe that there was a diesel B series option and even the Land Rover diesel in the 300 series.

20 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Back in the 90's the local RLC Bomb Disposal unit had a LDV 300 Convoy with a Rover V8 in it. Regularly came in for brake disc and pads renewal, they never travelled anywhere slowly!!

They had them in Nortern Ireland as well. The V8 in my old black two door ex Herford Range Rover came out of one that found  a device. Apparently the procedure was back down onto the suspect area with a roof mounted rear floodlight.  The only thing that came back in this case was the engine.

8 hours ago, wally dugan said:

A number of these LDV vans were registered in the series  xx KC xx  and the mini buses in the  xx KE xx series

I drove an LDV three ton chassis with my bosses horse box on the back. I remember a lot of bits of that were out of the Land Rover /Ford bits box. 

That Contract No.  / Warrant No. plate - alone must be worth a few  ££  quid, and the OD hardly needs T cut.       Any snags getting  into MV show ground for  £ zilch as spectator / exhibitor  -   just show the all important plate  + no problems for Kit and quite good storage security.

Actually for £ free entry to visitor park - I find a yellow bridge plate gets me a wave past the gate  LoL

Edited by ruxy
edit

14 minutes ago, ruxy said:

That Contract No.  / Warrant No. plate - alone must be worth a few  ££  quid, and the OD hardly needs T cut.       Any snags getting  into MV show ground for  £ zilch as spectator / exhibitor  -   just show the all important plate  + no problems for Kit and quite good storage security.

Actually for £ free entry to visitor park - I find a yellow bridge plate gets me a wave past the gate  LoL

Is there anyway of finding out it’s past off off of that contract plate?

The plate you found was on the seat-base  ?

Have a look for the  VIN plate - lift bonnet - probably on firewall , back of engine is a fav. position.  Otherwise search cab.   You may find a nomenclature plate that states the VRM  (military registration mark).  

Collect that info. and do a  FOI request , somebody on here should be able to give the latest instructions.  With the VRM - you should be able to do a Merlin search on-line, that would give you military history - postings locations etc.  Disposal date , where disposed of.