Trailer, Flat Platform, Air Portable, 5ton, 4wheeled. Eager Beaver

davrix

Hi All,

I am seeking any information, particularly the weight, of the  5 ton , 'air portable' trailer that was used with the Eager Beaver.  

I believe these were made by Brockhouse & Co, West Bromwich.  They have brakes on only the rear axle - whats the view on the legality of towing on the road behind an Eager Beaver?  ( as if one would be brave enough!!)   Many thanks   Dave 

I had one, didn't know the empty weight but it wasn't the nicest thing to tow on the road, I always had it in front steer only on the road as you should but I recall it wasn't much fun. I sold it a year later! It was great on the fields though.

Edited by snort

Slowly, and small corrections if possible, fairly easy as you can see it all happening. I had a bar on the forks which made it easier to push and see. But often reversed from the tow hitch.  But then I am used to a lorry and 4 wheel drag.

Dave,

You do not say what braking system the trailer has.  However, the maximum gross weight for a trailer with over-run brakes is 3.5 tonnes so that means the trailer cannot have over-run brakes.  The Eager Beaver does not have air brakes or any such connections.  I don't recall it having servo brakes either.

I think that a trailer of that age over 3.5 tons would require plating and testing.

Perhaps the trailer only has a hand brake. 

If you fitted suitable brakes for the weight of the trailer there might be an issue with the rating of the tyres.

On one hand it looks legally like a 'works truck or trailer' that does not go far on public roads.  On the other hand, it does have road going lights.

Interesting!

John

It look as if it has over-run bakes on the front.  Since it weighs 1.3 tonnes, you would get 2.2 tones payload. at 3.5 tonnes gross with over-run brakes all round.  I don't know if the over-run bakes automatically down plates it for civilian use at 3.5 tonnes.

John

I seem to recall that the RE TA Airfield Damage repair units in the UK used to have some of these trailers for carrying the 5 tonne dropweights used by the Compactor.

If not these then something very similar.

The only photo I have of the rig but the operator has just released the trailer. sods law again.

59dcea8ee979f_CompacterRAFLeeming.JPG.71

Edited by ploughman

• 1 month later...

I have one of these trailers, mine is a Brockhouse 5ton trailer they only brake on the rear axle they had two types overrun brakes and Vacuum brakes mine is Vacuum brakes there is a actuation chamber under the chassie of the trailer which operates the brakes i tow it with my Leyland Hippo like most vehicles of this age they were vacuum over hydraulic systems the pipe from the trailer screws straight on to the connection on the lorry. as the trailer is historic it doesn't need plating as long as you are not using it for hire or reward. I wrote to the DVLA to ask if i could load my Loyd carrier on the trailer and take it to shows; They then put me in touch with the IVS (international Vehicle Standards)  whoe sent me a letter saying they do not have a problem with towing the trailer with my Leyland Hippo on the public road loaded with my historic Loyd carrier as long it is not for hire or reward. But of course the brakes have to work as it was originally designed and also the lorry doesn't go any faster than 30 mph

☺️

Richard

On 2/13/2020 at 10:34 AM, snort said:

Slowly, and small corrections if possible, fairly easy as you can see it all happening. I had a bar on the forks which made it easier to push and see. But often reversed from the tow hitch.  But then I am used to a lorry and 4 wheel drag.

Well now im making a front towing bracket for the Eager Beaver - this should allow me to shunt trailers about easily and more accurately than having them at the back end of the EB !   all parts cut and ready to weld up this stay at home saturday. 

front tow frame.jpeg