Abbot fuel tank

diesel1

Can the fuel tank be taken out with the pack still in?

I see the wires through the hole at the back of the drivers seat, im i right in thinking these are all fuel sender gauge wires?

I dont see any fuel pump electric  wires  anywhere, dnt want to pull the tank until i know i wont damage any pump wiring.

I need to clean the tank out, also get to a small fuel leak somewhere, and while im in there tap in the engine oil pressure switch to put a oil pressure gauge in.

Andrew

Yes, but it's not easy.  If you don't have the Unit and Base Repair manuals you'll find them very useful!  Fuel tank removal is in Chapter 3 of the Unit Repairs EMER (Trk E103/3).

Don't disturb the cables going to the fuel tank sender unit you can see behind the driver's seat!  MAKE SURE THE TANK HAS BEEN DRAINED - the lifting eyes aren't designed to carry a tank with fuel in it. Remove the plates to the bottom left of the driver's seat (one carries the engine disconnector cable).  That will give you access to the two plugs carrying the cables for the fuel sender and pump.  If the self-sealing fuel couplings are still in place you can undo them too; they may have been replaced as they tend to leak with age.  Remove the hull plates over the top of the tank, the vent pipes, angled support members and the battery tray.  Undo the cable clamps securing the tank and lift making sure that nothing gets caught on the way out.

If you want to fit an oil pressure gauge there's a tapped hole on the crankcase next to the oil pressure switch.  It will be a pack out job to get at it, though.

Andy

IMG_5663aw.jpg

Edited by andym

The tank is out, clean inside, fuel pump taken out to check the filter gauze. Took a while to find the fuel pump electric wire but got there in the end.

Managed to reach the tapped hole at the back of the oil pressure switch, i have some fittings  to go in the tapped  hole and up to a oil pressure gauge.

Andrew

The pressure pipe/gauge is now fitted, looks impossible job, but there is a route in there for your arm, just dont drop anything or its gone!

Im going to run the engine with the tank out, to check for leaks, am i right in thinking the 2 pipes that are on the top of the fuel tank (1 large 1 small) are both returns?

Just need the engine oil filter seals to come from xmod before i check for leaks!