CMV Lack of brit WW2 softskin vehicles at W&P 2007

da bomb

Andy your right. when all is said and done we do things with the vehicles for fun. I used to go to Beltring but because of politics I will no longer. I prefer to do living history, where the vehicle is in context or working jobs like the support of the Somme and Ypres. What ever you do enjoy it, there 'aint no pockets in a shroud!!.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm,

some good points here i attend Beltring with the jeep but for me it is mainly a social meeting place for me both on the vehicle front and the militaria front, and know people who attend the show 2-3 times during the week and never set foot in the vehicle fields.

As for British trucks after the war there was one local firm (like others around the country) not to mention bus companies etc that converted military trucks to a `civilian spec`.

My mate owned a bedford MW converted to a twin axle tipper (as seen in the film Hell Drivers) but much rarer as it was, than a military truck, and when he sold it 2 years ago the price he quoted was 2.5 times the price of a military spec vehicle :dunno:

May be we have all become soft in our cosmopolitan modern society and drive U.S. vehicles so not to wear that nasty rough serge against our soft skin :whistle: :whistle:

PS there was a news bulletin on Meridian today re a Barn fire in Hampshire, and in one clip was a forlorn Matador which looked as if it to was burning :cry: :cry:

better get one HF be for the prices rise

Ashley

With reference to Paying to get in to W&P, i feel that paying to get in is probably a bit off!

Surely they make enough from stalls and public entrance?

I attended a show at Grampian Transport Museum, it was held over a weekend, and on the saturday evening the museum put on a barbecue and had sorted out some sponsorship from the local pub who put on barrels of beer etc. Speaking with the curator, he was more than happy to keep on the exhibitors side, the public paying to get in and covering the costs.

This was an excellent show! a good balance of every type of vehicle, post war, and WW2 axis/allied with some large armour in attendance.

And generally acknowledged as one of the best military vehicle shows held for a while, very friendly atmosphere and enjoyed by the public.

I think it was good, because it wasnt big! it was a group of military petrolheads there for the love of it and in that respect i shouldnt think W&P could touch it. A well done to GTM for organising it, and i believe it will now be an annual regular.

Well my answer having been a regular attender at W&P in the past, is why buy the supermarkets own brand such as W&P when you can with no real extra effort go to Organic top produce, such as Grampian sounds. Or especially in the case of Beltring , why stay in a flop house if you can afford 5 star. (Extra layer of sandbags going up) Quality not Quantity.

I spent many years going to clasic car shows which basically are the same as the Grampian MV event described above and loved every minute (when my old Saabs are back on the road I will be doing it again).

I've also been to W&P for two years - and again loved every minute - even the mud this year!!!

They really are two different types of event!!! You get to spend a week (or more in Lee's case) at W&P and the atmosphere is different in the days pre-paying public entry. Both the atmospheres are fun though. I would say to anyone who's not tried W&P once to give it a go - if you can get the week off. You may be pleasantly suprised - and if not then at least you can say you've done it!!! :-) :-) :-)

With reference to Paying to get in to W&P, i feel that paying to get in is probably a bit off!

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought the charges at W&P were for the on site services like Rubbish clearance, Hot showers, extra toilets, Security and anything else I have forgotten. Alot of MV owners are on site alot longer than the show runs for.

I know not everyone pays to enter W&P and re-enactors get in free but they do spend alot of time displaying to the public and put in alot of hard work.

Just my thoughts

The point is how do you know if it's your thing or not if you don't try it? Kind of narrow minded really.

Unfortunately for myself, its a very long way to take a Humber 1 ton APC, it would be faster and cheaper to go to Iceland!....mmm now theres an idea!!

Adam, not a bad idea. We can watch all the J***Ps play Lemmings over the cliff :-D I wonder if though a group trip would work out economic? Perhaps the 'Power of the Forum' could be used to extort discounts out of ferry lines etc. Place I'd love to visit, mind you their version of off roading is mental even by our standards.

I read an article about a 4x4 trip through the interior of Iceland during the summer, wading ability is a must, and the terrain is a moonscape epic with bubbling pools and ice flows to contend with!

Anyway i digress away from the subject, for those interested, at the "Grampian" show there was for restoration the following brit softskins:

Leyland Hippo

Morris 15 cwt compressor truck

Bedford QL

Universal Bren carrier (not particularly soft!)

All sold except the Hippo, which was a runner.

Correct me if Im wrong but I thought the charges at W&P were for the on site services like Rubbish clearance, Hot showers, extra toilets, Security and anything else I have forgotten. Alot of MV owners are on site alot longer than the show runs for.

I know not everyone pays to enter W&P and re-enactors get in free but they do spend alot of time displaying to the public and put in alot of hard work.

Just my thoughts

Ian makes valid points which I think more or less bring this thread back on track. To be frank, I think this topic is a hardy perennial. Look through a bushel of threads on this forum and they all more or less slip into the merits and demerits of W & P. The actual issue related to Simon Thomson's appreciation of the British WW2 vehicle scene at the event. I've never been to Overlord or underlord or Horndean or the MVT big do or Tankfest. I usually do local events in Essex and the behemoth at the Hop Farm. I think we all agree in the merits of mixing organic with the big battalions - a nice analogy, Tony B. But this is a far removed point from why a.n. other doesn't take his motor into the arena at the Hop Farm. That issue has been done to death as well. In my view, I am just glad there are people who keep 'em rolling. Where they choose to keep 'em rolling is their own beeswax. Party on dudes.