Aerial base?

winchman

Question

My son is restoring a Series 2A Land rover. He had to buy a pair of wings to get a good one!

One has this what we think is an aerial base?

Now is it any use?

What is it?

What should we ask /  swap it for?

Should we just bin it?

Thanks in advance

Wing .jpg

16 answers to this question

I am not a MarconiSahib  ,   it is obviously very military ,  I suspect it may have been used with a PYE  Westminster or similar era set  ??    called something  'Storno'   ISTR    If so - then I would be interested in purchase (I have a non-function PYE).    IIRC  normally local airfield communications , well at least the set I have has a Dyno tape RN Air Service base on..

Hello Ruxy Here is another photo of the base we haven't a clue about it.

The vehicle it was attached to was a 60s Land Rover not sure if it was series 2 or 2A as we think the wings are the same.

My Son is open to offers for the Bob restoration fund. Bob has the wrong front end amongst other ailments and is well and truly emptying his pockets!.

I am sure some one will be along in a moment and tell us exactly what it is Google wont tell me?

IMG_20200119_182825.jpg

Bob.jpg

Hi.     It is a  'pineapple'  - in fact I would say defo. a alternative to a 'base antenna mount'   , however not like any I have known.   I would say designed with reason, the holes and PCD  (I will post up dims. later) are to match those on top of a Larkspur  ATU wingbox, Clansman TUAAM wingbox or  'candlestick'  (the pole thing used as a antenna mount on rear tub of Land Rovers , and in fact the sliders of a Lightweight "Unitary kit".   The whip spring shock-absorber is similar to a accessory used in conj. with base antenna mounts.    Of the several different manufacturers of radio equipment , they used similar terms but perhaps not always to same time-tine.   I was recently amused to see on the rubber parts of 'base antenna mounts' (they went through several  versions of Mk.)  - I was not doing a 'time-line'- but determined the change from ' base AERIAL mount' to  'base ANTENNA mount'  .  IMHO this was a major strengthening to the mounting ring flange and was in the early stage of Clansman equipment.

Strange as it may seem, and I need to guestimate here (1980 to 1990/95)   I was a regular visitor to the extensive works of Plessey at Hebburn.  I don't recall any military equipment.   3 or 4  regiments of Plessey ,   1.  manufacture of long insulators as used on National Grid pylons.  2.   The larger works (I was not in all area)  ISTR sheel metal for cabinets - probably for Telecoms. equipment.  3.  I remember a small factory - remember the type of machinery , don't remember products.  4.  A larger factory that was for semi-conductor products , early computer that probably included 'engine management'  ,  I well remember picking up a (best described as - proper etched Vero board) ,  I asked - what are these  (I had seen similar huge computer boards at another firms factories at Cramlington & near Edinburgh)   ,   the reply was they are for the dash on cars "we do many makes"  inc. VW and Mercedes.   I then asked was the Mercedes a better quality - the reply was they used gold for connections on a Mercedes board but silver for all other car makers.  Being a mind of useless info. - I remember that very well  !

Edited by ruxy
spelin

3 hours ago, ruxy said:

Hi.     It is a  'pineapple'  - in fact I would say defo. a alternative to a 'base antenna mount'   , however not like any I have known. 

The antenna base is not a clansman pineapple, however it is similar in design, the clansman one has 4 short fins an two long fins on each side. The base looks like an experimental one and the PV may stand for Private Venture, like “ruxy” I have never seen one like the one you have. It is also attached to a pair of civillian series wings (indicators on series military land rovers are vertically alligned), which suggest that the previous owner bolted it on for show of for experimentation.

Cheers

Richard

37 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

The antenna base is not a clansman pineapple, however it is similar in design, the clansman one has 4 short fins an two long fins on each side. The base looks like an experimental one and the PV may stand for Private Venture, like “ruxy” I have never seen one like the one you have. It is also attached to a pair of civillian series wings (indicators on series military land rovers are vertically alligned), which suggest that the previous owner bolted it on for show of for experimentation.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks , I am aware you are better informed with radio matters than I.

Civvy S2A wings - yes.   However before Tr-Service vehicles, I am aware the RN & RAF did obtain Army FFR's  & gave them another reg. mark.  Also the RN did obtain true civvy models (often diesel) as did the RAF (on odd special occasions). My understanding is diesels used near weapons stores and radar ,  inc. USAF bases nominally under RAF .  Due to the tidy blanking plate , I am thinking service vehicle, I know RACAL  (radio manufacture)  had  6 qty Wolf 90 for testing Clansman , so don't see why they did not have S2A & S3 earlier.

There is a  odd photograph around the internet possibly borrowed off the front of a book about the RAF police (also has a Bedford 3/4 ton) ,  unfortunately - it seems they cut a hole in the roof of the hood (centre of hoop at seat squab position) for their radio antenna ,   actually I have two Westminster (both marked Yeovilton RNAS).

========

winchman  -  check the base against  :-

5"  O.D.

Holes on a  4.3/8"  PCD

Holes will be clearance for 6mm bolt clearance (Clansman)   or  1/4" bolt clearance for Larkspur.   I am quite certain it is Clansman era  (introduction starting approx.  1978).

10 minutes ago, ruxy said:

I am quite certain it is Clansman era  (introduction starting approx.  1978).

Totally agree, also MoD also has a series of Landrovers for special projects (including Series 2, 2A and 3), not sure if these were all "military"  standard that were used by contractors and RARDE Chertsey and others (there was one of these for sale on Milweb sometime ago, reg 00SP53).

Hopefully someone will come up with a definitive answer to what the antenna base actually is.

The fact of a blanking plate on other wing , sort of indicates to me that a pair were fitted originally ,  that would be a serious bit of radio kit on receiving /transmit ends.    I have assumed all base antenna/ aerial rubber mounts were manufactured by RACAL  (I have a pair of No.31 Mk. 2 new & c/w BALUN still in RACAL box).   Plessey must have had their own test vehicles - possibly they didn't wish to use any equipment made by commercial opposition  ?.  

I have just had a look through a book  -   Military LAND ROVER  : Development and in Service.  by Pat Ware ,  dated 2007.     Study of photographs shows more unusual antenna etc.

Pages  156-161  ,  The Laird (Anglesey)  Ltd.  Centaur  (half-track)  Land Rover,  there is a photograph of a hardtop  "communications vehicle"  (obviously stretched) , one wingbox antenna  & two roof mounted.  The rear one seems to be this type of mount.  I think this may have been a vehicle exported to Oman, the book does not state such - just reading between the lines.

Centaur was - based on 1978/79   "Stage One"   V8 ,  the British Army was involved but did not buy into the Centaur concept , by 1985 the project was dropped..  Total production only 7 or 8 vehicles , the last was based on Defender 110.

Hi

Just asked the question on another "radio related" forum.

So... " Possibly part of the Plessey / Siemans "Raven" HF equipment built for the Australian services. As far as I know never issued to UK forces but extensive trials were probably done in UK."

See top shelf in attached photo (the radios below are raven hf radios)

1331316050_Cabinviewf.thumb.jpg.90b8f94aec6e186be8b8784e0394ae4d.jpg

Thanks for posting that info Clive

As for price I have no idea, but make sure you put Ravan Ex Military Radio in your description as there are a few people who collect that kit in the UK.

here is the radio it would have been attached to (courtesy of VMARS member M1CFW)

1805874537_PV4400Utest.thumb.jpg.aadbce714a9e08392148d48c171b2aac.jpg

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Thanks for posting that info Clive

As for price I have no idea, but make sure you put Ravan Ex Military Radio in your description as there are a few people who collect that kit in the UK.

here is the radio it would have been attached to (courtesy of VMARS member M1CFW)

1805874537_PV4400Utest.thumb.jpg.aadbce714a9e08392148d48c171b2aac.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Thanks could you give me some sort of price clue? £20 £100 ?