USN-Tool-Box

Baz48

Question

2 answers to this question

There's a pile of information out there on these 41-B-1640 boxes.  They seen to have been made by several manufacturers, Kennedy and Simonsen being the most common, and they are mostly associated with USAAC, USAAF, USAF, USN, and NAF ( Naval Air Force ).

They do not appear to have been in common service with the US Army for whatever reason.  I have several, and they are really heavy even when empty, to the point that a single lift handle must have been useless when loaded.

The G503 Tool Section is loaded with information and examples:

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=215765

I would normally expect an example with embossed USN to be post WW2, but the socket tray lid layout of your find is definitely WW2 type ( pre-WW2 the top trays were empty, even blank, with no lids or dividers, during WW2 they normally had socket dividers and one side had a lid, some time post-WW2 both of the top section got lids, though probably different manufacturers changes at different times )

It may be worth stripping or sanding the black paint to check for original stencilling.

Edited by Gordon_M
Adding info

On 1/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, Gordon_M said:

There's a pile of information out there on these 41-B-1640 boxes.  They seen to have been made by several manufacturers, Kennedy and Simonsen being the most common, and they are mostly associated with USAAC, USAAF, USAF, USN, and NAF ( Naval Air Force ).

They do not appear to have been in common service with the US Army for whatever reason.  I have several, and they are really heavy even when empty, to the point that a single lift handle must have been useless when loaded.

The G503 Tool Section is loaded with information and examples:

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=215765

I would normally expect an example with embossed USN to be post WW2, but the socket tray lid layout of your find is definitely WW2 type ( pre-WW2 the top trays were empty, even blank, with no lids or dividers, during WW2 they normally had socket dividers and one side had a lid, some time post-WW2 both of the top section got lids, though probably different manufacturers changes at different times )

It may be worth stripping or sanding the black paint to check for original stencilling.

Thank You for the link just shows what information is out there. The Box in the photos I believe was bought in the US and brought to the UK many years ago then forgotten about. While it would make an interesting exhibit on one of US-Navy trucks I suspect as you say you would need a crane to lift it on or off when full of tools. I assume from what you say the overall colour would be OD and not the gloss black it is now. So possibly it wouldn't be out of place on a Bomb-Service Truck or flightline service vehicle rather than infantry or armoured unit vehicle. Regards removing paint to look for markings an interesting thought, I'll suggest that to its owner many thanks.