What are these... Spark plugs?

Hello All,

I found these in one of the lockers on my Coventry Climax generator trailer, at first glance they appear to be similar to a spark plug but I'm not convinced... anyone know what they are?

Are they of use to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

20191231_130540[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, johnwardle said:

They are for shielded ignition cables as fitted to FFR  Land Rovers. The outer cable screws on to the thread at the top of the plug and the inner makes contact with the contact inside the plug body.

That answer makes it more interesting as I have an FFR diesel Land Rover

52 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Well they won't fit that!

You will find them on military petrol engines used in radio equipped vehicles, and generators that are likely used near radio equipment, commonly known as screened plugs.

Thanks, as I have said on other threads learning, buildings and building regulations I can give answers, engines need help. Why screened plugs? is this something to do with the electrics generated similar to a magnet?

Non screened or unsuppressed plug leads plug leads cause a crackling interference on radios. Back in the 1960s I remember someone in the village that I lived in had a motorbike that was unsuppressed, every time he rode past the television would crackle and flicker, so it is very important to eliminate interference on military radios.

7 minutes ago, johnwardle said:

Non screened or unsuppressed plug leads plug leads cause a crackling interference on radios. Back in the 1960s I remember someone in the village that I lived in had a motorbike that was unsuppressed, every time he rode past the television would crackle and flicker, so it is very important to eliminate interference on military radios.

Thanks, yu saying that I remember listening to a radio channel and passing a "cow" fence could hear the clicking

Edited by Surveyor
spellin as new year

9 hours ago, johnwardle said:

John indeed yes a lot of preserved WW2 vehicles  still continue to emit large amounts of RF interference right across the spectrum. At shows I operate on amateur bands from 80m-2m & it can be quite a problem for me, with a directional antenna I can identify an offending vehicle sometimes several hundred yards away.

I would have thought if the ignition systems have actually been restored to their wartime spec then tactically it would have been a drawback not only to a unit's own comms but would also warn an enemy of an approaching threat no matter how much stealth was employed.