AFS matchless G3

Soulby

Hello I have recently purchased a 1955 matchless G3 which I believe to be an ex AFS motorcycle. It’s registration is NYV317 I don’t suppose that there is anyway of finding out its history. I have looked at the information on the AFS page on the matchless owners club but was wondering if there was any information regarding how long it was owned by the home office etc. Thanks Scott 

23379F30-0237-4963-A0EC-C2E8995330BA.jpeg

Hi Scott . Great looking bikes. I am interested why do you believe the bikes have been with the fire services ? . Do it have the bikes frame number And engine numbers ? The AFS was formed in 1937 created by the ARP act and  existed until August 1941 when it and a number of works fire units became the National Fire Service NFS.

After the war in April  1948 the NFS National  fire service returned to its peacetime formation and came under the jurisdiction of  local authorities.

the Matchless and and AJS owners club have the original factory records and there's  contain who the bikes were originally supplied to ... I believe you pay a fee but it may assist you in your research

The website Matchless clueless has great guides on finding your frame number and accessing the Matchless and AJS records

Regards Jenkinov

PS My first car was a fire brigade car purchased at a disposal sale 

Hello thanks for the reply. The number plate is on the AFS website NYV252-336 Home office contract two 85 motorcycles March 1954. It would be interesting to find out more about the bike and where it went to. I no that it is the wrong colour etc as it is now black and I assume it should be green. Didn’t no it could be and AFS motorcycle when I was buying it I just thought it was a normal matchless. I will ask on the matchless and AJS owners club and see if it can be confirmed as been belonging to the home office. Many Thanks Scott

Thanks guys for all the information they look a lot better in green. Makes you wonder just how many of these are left now in existence. I have tried looking at the matchless AFS club to see if there is a register with models know to exist but can’t find anything. Thanks again Scott

1 hour ago, Soulby said:

Makes you wonder just how many of these are left now in existence. 

As you know the registration numbers were NYV252-336, you can check on the Gov site. It won't enable you to make a complete list of existing bikes because some of the numbers are now on other vehicles, and some are 'Vehicle details could not be found'. 

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.55134571.1947587275.1577367580-177725673.1577128332