Does an FV432 contain asbestos?

Deathwing

Question

21 answers to this question

The brake bands are operating in an oil filled gearbox so any asbestos dust is trapped in the oil and cannot be breathed in, even when you change the oil. I suppose if you burned the waste oil it would be possible for the asbestos to get into the atmosphere so best not to do that ! In the real world you are much more likely to squash yourself playing with 432s so I don't see anyone getting asbestosis from a 432. And I did have a good friend who died from it so I do take it seriously.

David

I was told that the engine heat shielding was indeed asbestos. There's also asbestos in the engine itself I believe (as marked with a big red "A" on it). 

On a side note we had the asbestos removed from ours (and replaced with a modern equivalent) and I did an asbestos test in the vehicle interior. They found 1 hair or strand or whatever they call it but they couldn't confirm whether it was asbestos or something else and said in any case it was below the risk threshhold (i.e. safe).

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the replies guys, 

Reckon it’s worth me flagging it up to the powers above or leaving it? 

I feel like the army would have the sense not to use asbestos on a part that’s so regularly moved and bashed about but then again when does anything the army do ever make sense 

Edited by Tempaccount10001

The use of any components containing Abestos was banned from November 1999 so as commented above unless a vehicle has not been through a rebuild in at least 22 years it will not contain Abestos.  Things like brake linings on a 432 may be an exception but the MOD and other employers have paid out millions of pounds in compensation on asbestosis claims and would not knowingly use the material now without very good cause.    The material in picture looks lke the modern glass fibre type replacement material.   I am sure any thing put out on ranges now is also fully surveyed to satisfy the green agenda.

If that is your vehicle in the picture you are legally responsible for the disposal of any hazardous materials.

Edited by REME 245
  • Thanks 1

If you're in active service I imagine your FV432 has been upgraded/modernised unlike mine. Assuming REME is correct that means any dangerous asbestos would have been removed. You might still have some in brake bands etc but that's a lot safer than loose fibres flapping about the engine bay like they used to.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, Deathwing said:

If you're in active service I imagine your FV432 has been upgraded/modernised unlike mine. Assuming REME is correct that means any dangerous asbestos would have been removed. You might still have some in brake bands etc but that's a lot safer than loose fibres flapping about the engine bay like they used to.

As the removal of asbestos was one of the drivers behind the Bulldog conversions I would be very surprised if any non-Bulldog FV430s have had asbestos removed.

Andy

I understand for example with a vehicle like the Saxon that after carryingout a MOD to approximately half the fleet to remove Abestos Brake Shoes they had to stop because the braking efficency was found to be worse than the original testing results.  This obviously left half the fleet off the road until the problem could be resolved.  

The main driver for the Bull Dog conversion was presumably to remove the obsolete and inefficent engine and transmission which relied on a single set of Abestos brake shoes to both steer and brake the vehicle.  This was also incontravention of Construction and Use Regulations due to the lack of a secondary braking system.

The original question on this thread refered to engine covers and I would still be very surprised even with crown imunity if the MOD contined using a hazardous material on easialy accessible items like engine covers years after it became illegal and the health issues well known.

Edited by REME 245

On 6/30/2022 at 12:24 AM, Deathwing said:

I was told that the engine heat shielding was indeed asbestos. There's also asbestos in the engine itself I believe (as marked with a big red "A" on it). 

On a side note we had the asbestos removed from ours (and replaced with a modern equivalent) and I did an asbestos test in the vehicle interior. They found 1 hair or strand or whatever they call it but they couldn't confirm whether it was asbestos or something else and said in any case it was below the risk threshhold (i.e. safe).

Hi there,

Before you had the asbestos removed from the engine bay, did you have it tested to confirm it was asbestos?

Was it just the engine bay heat shield that you had it removed?

I have found a maintenance pdf file online, that is heavily filled with warnings, they only talk about asbestos in two places, the exhaust and the brake bands. No mention of it when removing all engine covers to remove the engine. This could possibly be because it’s referring to updated fv432s that have had it all removed sometime in their lives. https://www.fv432apc.com/manuals/fv432manuals/2350T251/2350-T-251-522.pdf

Page 29 and 71 of the pdf file.

I am looking at purchasing one, but I dont like the thought of having it parked in my shed where I will be working on it, if it has a bunch of asbestos matting throughout the engine bay. 

Cheers

Edited by Turbine