Will FV432 safely traverse the kerb?

Deathwing

Question

Finally bought a house with a driveway so I can park an FV432 on it. In my ignorance though I didn't spot (a) a railway bridge on the route(!), and (b) the driveway is accessed over a dropped kerb (to be fair it's hard to see at present being covered with leaves!).

I've emailed Network Rail to check on the bridge, but with regard to the dropped kerb (photos attached) do you think it would be reasonably safe to cross this in an FV432 without causing any significant damage? Assuming a low speed without turning!

Thanks!

IMG_20191204_084250.jpg

IMG_20191204_084303.jpg

17 answers to this question

I think to access a property over a footpath a dropped kerb is required. You will have to check on the kerb foundation. Turning with any tracked vehicle runs the risk of surface damage, some conveyor belt, old tyres, or sacrifice plywood stratigically placed can stop damage.

If it is a 'authorized' drop kerb then it will be to a high specification under the sets. I had one done over 45 years ago and the Urban District Council authority stated only their direct works department could do the work (the cost to me was £40).  There should be a concrete foundation under the sets, compacted hardcore under any slab or tarmac pavement.

It is now a Unitary Authority - County Council,  now you have to apply for a license , they give details of 'appointed as approved' contractors who may do the work , along with instructions ref. sewers / power cables etc.   On completion and probably stage work - the Highways comes out and gives a final pass & document that should be retained with the property papers.

One was recently done near me , traffic lights & the whole lot , work that was once done by a labrador with a spade in in under 1 hour - now requires a mini-excavator to be trailer delivered ,  a quotation   £ 1000 to £2000 (no fixed estimates).

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Last week there was a machine cleaning gullys out at Bean in Kent. To begin with 4 vehicles and a sucker sitting for about for a couple of hours , with six guys playing with mobile phones. Followed by half an hour or so of two guys working the sucker with three men and a woman standing the other side of the road with clipboards watching them.

42 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Last week there was a machine cleaning gullys out at Bean in Kent. To begin with 4 vehicles and a sucker sitting for about for a couple of hours , with six guys playing with mobile phones. Followed by half an hour or so of two guys working the sucker with three men and a woman standing the other side of the road with clipboards watching them.

I find this very hard to believe, aren't local authorities short of funds to waste resources in such a flagrant way......

Apparently all councils are short of money, especially Powys county council. However when you watch how they carry out their relevant repairs to the local roads, it really becomes apparent how totally incompetent they really are.

Sometime during the summer they resurfaced a 3 mile section of a small C road that is heavily used as a rat run, all very nice as it was totally buggered but they didn't repair any of the pot holes (and some were huge) or side subsidence, before they resurfaced. Two days after they had finished the work, along came another gang and dug up the newly  resurfaced road to repair said pot holes etc and then they resurfaced the very large repaired areas.

A large pot hole appeared at a busy junction in the Town, eventually a council lorry turned up, one of the crew took a shovel of tarmac out of the lorry ran to the hole, when a space in the traffic allowed and chucked it in the hole, As the hole got fuller he would hit the tarmac with his spade before returning for another shovel full this went on until the hole was full and then they buggered off. You will notice that i stated they, as there were 3 employees, two of which played with their phones. Of course the pot hole reappeared over the next couple of days, so then they had to do the job properly.

I could continue...………………….but won't bore you.

Jon

12 hours ago, Bob Grundy said:

I find this very hard to believe, aren't local authorities short of funds to waste resources in such a flagrant way......

I saw it, and thought you couldn't make this up. I also have your Honour!! A bus load of passengers, and the people who live on the road to back me up! 😁

Oh forgot the PS. The week before the same set of drains, there had been another set of guys plus attached vans and gully sucker, doing the same work. Road still floods when it rains.

Edited by Tony B

Johann, I've friends at Prestinge, and went up a few weeks back to play on the Gospel Pass, and other Welsh treasures. The Green Lanes are distingushed from the roads by how far the grass extends from the middle of the track. Saw one beautiful sign. On the 'Main' road Unsutiable for LGV's. A bit further down LGV Ignore Sat Nav and re route. Under that another larger sign , WE MEAN IT! There is a narrow bridge a thousand yards down the track. YOU WILL GET STUCK.

Was narrow and all! The Discovery bareley went over it.

Next trip ! This winter, preferably with snow and after over a year of bld sweat tears money and frustration- A 1999 V8 3.9 litre  ES Auto, LPG converted , amongst other things, Discovery!

Bring it on! 😁

Edited by Tony B

I recall of hearing about an elderly gentleman taking his Abbot out to raise money one Remembrance Saturday in his local town. Whilst traversing the pavement the Abbot ripped out a number of kerb stones. Not wishing to encumber the local council into sending him a large bill for the rectification of pavement, he went the following day to relay the kerbstones. The following week the council pulled it all up as part of a redevelopment.