Old Git

Stuart M5A1, British use in NWE Q. re an IWM photo

Question

Just stumbled on this on the IWM and was trying to ascertain what type of Stuart it is. Now I'm no expert but it looks to me to be an M5A1, raised deck at the back, the Armoured thingy  on the side of the Turret for the .30 Cal. etc. Can anyone confirm that it is an M5A1 and also if it was usual to have an armoured Glass visor on the M5A1? I don't think I've seen this combination before, but as I say I'm no expert. 

Direct link if you want to zoom the photo is here: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205203359

© IWM (BU 5302) A Stuart tank of the Royal Scots Greys, 4th Armoured Brigade in Wismar, 4 May 1945

large_000000.jpg

Edited by Old Git

7 answers to this question

Yes, M5A1 but known as Stuart VI in British service. The drivers screen and hood was a standard part of the equipment, known as approach hood in British parlance.

Thanks for the reply Adrian, can always rely on you mate. As it happens I was just looking at some footage of the Berlin parade at the end of the war and spotted another.

So, as far as I know only the Guards Armoured Division fielded the Stuart VI in NWE? Would every Stuart VI have had this feature, or only some of them?

It's not a feature per se, just a part of the tank equipment, CES in today's terms.  It fastens to the glacis plate at the top edge and presumably can be folded up for use or down as shown in your picture. It's not armoured glass, just laminated for safety and has a wiper and demister. Shermans have them too but they are either fitted or not, there is no facility to fold them down.

Thanks for that Adrian, it's beginning to make more sense now. At first I thought it was built over the drivers hatch as an Armoured hood but I see it's just a screen in front. Found a bit of footage of 6th Guards Armoured Brigade in the bocage, with a couple of Stuart VI.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/embed/?id=1060019767

Edited by Old Git

Thanks again Adrian, that's brilliant info, nice to know that it comes with the later versions of the M5A1 as well. Just need to find some drawings for it now.