Rubber plug / Battery box lid (Ferret)

robin craig

Question

Good day,

The early style battery box lid for the Ferret has a rubber plug in the centre as per the attached pictures.

Someone once told me that they were available but they were also used on a postwar truck of some sort in another use than for a battery box.

I would like to buy some but don't know what to ask for and whom to ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

old style ferret  battery box lid 02.jpg

old style ferret barrery box lids01.jpeg

6 answers to this question

If you need the rubber bung. you need the rectangular rubber gasket that fits in the rim of the cover. Unfortunately neither are identified as demandable items other than being part of the cover PX19354 for the early battery box.

I see the later battery box cover FV63144 has a matching gasket FV363145, but I don't know if that will fit yours or not.

John 1950 thanks for the input, I will go that route if the original part can not be identified, I thought maybe a Scammel or a Militant used the same part in another use.

Yes Clive you are correct I need the seal around the edge, a local purchase out here from a catalogue may be used as an expedient measure as with the plug, but one strives to get the right kit until supplies are exhausted.

Hi All,  I am going to be in the same hunt for the gasket around the rim for my Ferret battery boxes.  One is not too bad; the other is totally perished.  I was thinking of using some casting silicone and forming a gasket in place.  I was also perusing my local auto supply place for likely candidates for rubber plugs.  I thing the ones in the lids are ok; however I need the one to let the cables pass through the lower battery box sides.  I will let you know what I find.

Re Ferret battery boxes.

What ever you do for the cover plugs stick to rubber as I found out by experience, when I had a battery explode. It is surprising how fast you can exit the vehicle via the front hatch in these situations, but your rear end makes a very good target for in cab missiles.

Mick