Ferret gearchange trouble

philb

My pal's Ferret will readily engage 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th gears but having selected 3rd gear and pressed the pedal the pedal stays down, as if in neutral. After a few attempts the pedal usually springs up with a bang and 3rd is engaged but that makes driving tricky. Is this a common problem and what is the likely cause please?

Cheers,

Phil

2 hours ago, philb said:

My pal's Ferret will readily engage 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th gears but having selected 3rd gear and pressed the pedal the pedal stays down, as if in neutral. After a few attempts the pedal usually springs up with a bang and 3rd is engaged but that makes driving tricky. Is this a common problem and what is the likely cause please?

Cheers,

Phil

Phil,

First thing I would check is the linkage from the gear slector to the selector lever on the side of the box,. As 3rd gear position on the quadrant is at the end of the gate, it may be there is a bit of wear or slack and the lever on the box is not quite in the correct position. Also you say that when 3rd does engage it comes up with a bang, is it then hard to push the pedal down again? Just trying to ascertain the problem.

regards, Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again Richard. Today we wound the clevis link on the gear lever in by two turns and now all the gears are selected with ease.

Our next problem is to get the thing road registered but we don't know its chassis number. The data plate seems to have disappeared, all we have is the army number 01EA27.  Does anyone know if the chassis(?) number is stamped on it somewhere please?

Phil

1 minute ago, philb said:

Thanks again Richard. Today we wound the clevis link on the gear lever in by two turns and now all the gears are selected with ease.

Our next problem is to get the thing road registered but we don't know its chassis number. The data plate seems to have disappeared, all we have is the army number 01EA27.  Does anyone know if the chassis(?) number is stamped on it somewhere please?

Phil

Well done Phil,

With Ferrets, Saracens, etc. it was not uncommon for this to happen with a bit of wear in the linkage.

From the distant past I recall a small plate tack welded to the hull with the hull (chassis) number and an abbreviated date. I think it was behind where the large data plate was mounted. Upper hull to right of drivers right shoulder ??

• 2 weeks later...