Crossley lorry

Louie

Hello everyone

I have this crossley lorry, 4x4 type. It's in pretty good condition but still needs a little bit of work. If anyone has any parts or manuals or information that could help me out in a minor restoration it would be greatly appreciated! I can't find much information about these crossleys. Information is so vague I don't even know what size engine it has!

Please see photo

Regards

27423F7D-D5C7-4EBC-AFCA-53A531844209-5394-0000033AEC89B732.jpg

The basic engine design remained unchanged from the I G L 3 to the end of production .Early engines have aluminium crankcases this was changed to cast iron due to a shortage of aluminium some time after 1940

. Early engine have a up draft carburettor and a  simms magneto .The 90 hp engine has a  down draft carburettor modified cylinder heads and a  distributor driven via a right angle drive . The bracket remains the same on each engine and the mag or distributor are interchangeable .The sump is modified on the 4x4  to allow clearance for the front axle .  Cylinder blocks are interchangeable across all models. . Mike

IMG_0545 (1).JPG

Thanks for your help so far guys. My crossley was made in 1938,  so it must be an aluminium engine. I don't think the magneto is a Simms. I'm pretty sure it's an AC. It's got a solex carburettor. According to the crossley website my wagon should have a dry sump engine, but I don't think mine has. That's the trouble I've been having-my vehicle doesn't EXACTLY match any other crossleys I've found! Also nice to see a crossley engine Out on the work bench!

Louie

The FWD model was not built until 1940 and all models were fitted with a dry sump engine . Do you have a positive date of manufacture for yours ? and what is the engine no . The no is stamped into the crankcase above the front pulley on all the engines I have seen  . The no of Crossleys that survive are few and far between so a rare beast and it looks in good order. Mike  

Hi Mike

Thanks for your help! It's in the log book as 1938. I will see if I can have a look for a code on the engine, the radiator might be in the way a bit. And I know it's been in a barn for a long time, that's helped keep it in good condition! There is not an oil tank that I'm aware of on the vehicle, which is why I thought it was a normal wet sump engine. Maybe it is not the crossley fwd model after all? It all seems a bit mixed up!

Regards

Louie

There is no separate oil tank .the sump is in 2 sections with a scavenger pump transferring the oil to the second section from where it is pumped via the auto clean filter to the bearings . The carbon deposits removed by the auto clean fall into a  separate section which is drained every 2000 miles via a plug at the base of the filter housing The auto clean filter is automatically cleaned every time the clutch pedal is depressed  Mike 

I've had a look on the engine, but can't see any codes. Would probably be easier if the radiator was removed. But I only recently put it back on! I've got all the brass plates with info and codes on, it says the engine number on one of these but there's a chance it couldve been re-engined since then! 

Regards

Edited by Louie

Give the info on the brass plate, or a picture of it. Chassis number would be good as we can get potentially get a contract number from it.

Crossley 4x4 manuals aren't impossible to come by, we have a few at work.

Edited by RAFMT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Malcolm

Could it be possible that my vehicle was made in 1938, and left unused, or maybe used for Something other than military, and then used for war service when the war started? I can't think of any other reason behind the march 1938 date.

Louie

26 minutes ago, Louie said:

Hi Malcolm

Could it be possible that my vehicle was made in 1938, and left unused, or maybe used for Something other than military, and then used for war service when the war started? I can't think of any other reason behind the march 1938 date.

Louie

Hi,

Looking at the data plate and the Contract Number, I doubt the lorry was made before 1940. Working on the Ministry of Supply contract numbers, my feeling is the contract dates from approx 1941. As this would be an RAF vehicle it is not listed in the Chilwell contract list, but still using the same sequence of numbers.  I could be wrong, but will wait to see what the RAF Museum will come up with.

regards, Richard

13 hours ago, Louie said:

Hi Malcolm

Louie

Simple answer, the Crossley is Not 1938, a dvla check shows the Crossley was first registered in 1976, back then the Historic exempt from mot category was Pre 1939, so every old  imported/re registered vehicle was Declared as such, dvla never asked for any year verification proof just accepted what was declared on the application, ...there are lots of ww2 post '39 vehicles about with spurious year of manufacture on the V5 reg. document

Edited by Nick Johns

12 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Working on the Ministry of Supply contract numbers, my feeling is the contract dates from approx 1941. As this would be an RAF vehicle it is not listed in the Chilwell contract list, but still using the same sequence of numbers.  I could be wrong, but will wait to see what the RAF Museum will come up with.

Agree on the contract date simply because the MoS used the one number sequence. This is a Type 2, Mk 2. from about mid-way through the contract (chassis numbers for this contract run from 51201 to 55467) which consisted of both Mks 1 and 2. 

The provisional edition of the maintenance manual (poorly copied typed notes, the preceded the printed first edition) are dated August 1940. 

This dates from 1944 .contract no 294 /S5134/con23A  and 294/23/S2178/con23A  for the 3ton 4x4 load carring chassis  and contract 294/23/S3035 /con 23A  for the4x4 tractor chassis.   My IGL 3 chassis is 1937 and Engine no 31777

IMG_1172.JPG

30 minutes ago, smiffy said:

This dates from 1944 .contract no 294 /S5134/con23A  and 294/23/S2178/con23A  for the 3ton 4x4 load carring chassis  and contract 294/23/S3035 /con 23A  for the4x4 tractor chassis. 

It should be contract V5134 (chassis numbers 56576-57398) and S2178 (chassis numbers 57401-58000) which are for the Load Carrier Type 3.

Contract S3035 cover Tractor Type 1, chassis numbers 71001-72750