Help required no lorries ...sorry

PITT24423

I need some help to get a better quality copy of the original WW1  image as I need it as part of a display as the organisers of the charities want to reproduce it life size as a wall banner to go along with the photos of the soldiers I installed .The second photo recently taken is what I created modeled on the original photo .I think the original if I am correct was British soldiers at the Somme .I am about to take the soldiers down after Remembrance Sunday and they will be auctioned off with the proceeds going to local charities including the British Legion .I know I have posted this clip on here before so excuse me but this will show you the impact it has as you come onto Mersea across its tidal road.

!cid_45A03F47-3931-4138-8F41-B07F177F5964.jpg

East Mersea WW1 soldiers.jpg

The IWM list this image as taken by an Australian photographer, so your best bet will be the Australian War Memorial:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193432

https://www.awm.gov.au/

You may also like this picture, which is from the British official collection

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205235910

Edit: Err, maybe not the last as it shows POWs.  Could also ask the IWM about the first picture to see if they can help.  I suspect at a cost though.

Edited by Runflat
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

At this time of gloom something to brighten our day up as we have had the final event and tally up to this project we made just over £50,000 profit from the sale of the soldiers with the majority being bought by the descendants and  home owners who have re erected on public space near their homes or at the homes of the war dead . The money has been divided up between the local charities and Trusts that financially supported the project at the beginning including our local branch of the Legion who get about £5k.

One of event organisers for the soldiers contacted the IWM for the use of the image which was agreed and the end result I was presented with a framed copy for my efforts  which I was deeply moved by . The photo was taken by the Australian Frank Hurley of Australian troops at Passchendaele who was also the photographer for the Shackleton polar expedition as a point of interest.

I know several people on this forum made the journey last year to Mersea to see the soldiers in position   and contacted me hence the reason for this final post to let you know the outcome.

• Like 6