What does the SMT signify in the naming of a trailer model?  The trailers were used by the RAF's Airfield Construction Branch (ACB) to carry items of plant.

SMT standard maintenance  task some quad bike trailers have the SMT prefix ie 171B / 120B

Scammell used on Operation Crown in Thailand 1966.

Rickety old bridge built by the Japanese WW2.

Cat D8H dozer would come off the trailer and cross the padi under its own steam.

Arse going sixpence half a crown!

Scammell 02.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

Richard/Wally,

These are the trailers I referred to.

Used by the RAF's Airfield Construction Branch (ACB) in the 1950s.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Found a trailer in RAF casting policy dated 1972, that meets  your description and photos.

Code 3470 1845 Trailer, low platform, 20 ton, 8 twin wheels, SMT Mk1

Scottish Motor Traction made some heavy trailers for the military

48 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

Richard,

Do you have any information on who might have built the SMT trailer?

Mick

Hi Mick,

I have found details of the trailer in a copy of the War Office Date Book of Wheeled Vehicles (a late war edition). See the two photos of related pages. The trailer was a Multiwheeler design but some were made by S.M.T., who as I mentioned before, were Scottish Motor Traction. They were also mentioned in Bart Vanderveen's Fighting Vehicles Directory WW2 as co-producers of the semi-trailers coupled to the Bedford QLC trucks.

SMT1.jpg

SMT2.jpg

Richard,

Thanks for your effort and the data sent.  Amazing that this material is still accessible.

Was the archived material under the auspices of HMVF or do you have alternative source?

Once again thanks, I am a newcomer to this site and mightily impressed, thus far.

Mick

9 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

Richard,

Thanks for your effort and the data sent.  Amazing that this material is still accessible.

Was the archived material under the auspices of HMVF or do you have alternative source?

Once again thanks, I am a newcomer to this site and mightily impressed, thus far.

Mick

hi Mick,

Thanks.!  Military vehicles have been my interest and my work for nearly 50 years and you tend to accumulate a lot of reference material over time 😉. The photos in my last post are of an official wartime War Office publication listing details of all vehicles and trailers in use by the British military. It is a reprint version produced by the HM Stationary Office some years ago.

Glad to hear it was helpful to you.

regards, Richard

On 10/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, Mick Norton said:

Scammell used on Operation Crown in Thailand 1966.

Rickety old bridge built by the Japanese WW2.

Cat D8H dozer would come off the trailer and cross the padi under its own steam.

Arse going sixpence half a crown!

Scammell 02.jpg

This driver forgot the bit about unloading the D8. Coincidentally I used to own 83BL02

Photostosendtoccmv002.jpg

On 10/16/2019 at 11:32 PM, Richard Farrant said:

SMT1.jpg

Hi Richard,

Just spotted the twin turntable arrangement for the front wheels, did any other trailers have a similar system?