SMT2 trailers

41 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

Richard/Wally,

These are the trailers I referred to.

Used by the RAF's Airfield Construction Branch (ACB) in the 1950s.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Found a trailer in RAF casting policy dated 1972, that meets  your description and photos.

Code 3470 1845 Trailer, low platform, 20 ton, 8 twin wheels, SMT Mk1

Scottish Motor Traction made some heavy trailers for the military

48 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

Richard,

Do you have any information on who might have built the SMT trailer?

Mick

Hi Mick,

I have found details of the trailer in a copy of the War Office Date Book of Wheeled Vehicles (a late war edition). See the two photos of related pages. The trailer was a Multiwheeler design but some were made by S.M.T., who as I mentioned before, were Scottish Motor Traction. They were also mentioned in Bart Vanderveen's Fighting Vehicles Directory WW2 as co-producers of the semi-trailers coupled to the Bedford QLC trucks.

SMT1.jpg

SMT2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

Richard,

Thanks for your effort and the data sent.  Amazing that this material is still accessible.

Was the archived material under the auspices of HMVF or do you have alternative source?

Once again thanks, I am a newcomer to this site and mightily impressed, thus far.

Mick

hi Mick,

Thanks.!  Military vehicles have been my interest and my work for nearly 50 years and you tend to accumulate a lot of reference material over time 😉. The photos in my last post are of an official wartime War Office publication listing details of all vehicles and trailers in use by the British military. It is a reprint version produced by the HM Stationary Office some years ago.

Glad to hear it was helpful to you.

regards, Richard

On 10/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, Mick Norton said:

Scammell used on Operation Crown in Thailand 1966.

Rickety old bridge built by the Japanese WW2.

Cat D8H dozer would come off the trailer and cross the padi under its own steam.

Arse going sixpence half a crown!

Scammell 02.jpg

This driver forgot the bit about unloading the D8. Coincidentally I used to own 83BL02

Photostosendtoccmv002.jpg

• 2 months later...

FAO Richard Tarrant,

Dear Richard,

Earlier this year you very kindly provided data for the SMT 2 trailer.

I wondered if you might assist on the following:

• FV3621(A), Trailer, 20 - ton, 8 TW/2L, low loading.  (see attached Serial 1 second item)

I am particularly interested in being able to establish the year of manufacture/entry into service from the plates on the Tasker trailer.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Mick  (micknorton1944@gmail.com)

Tasker 4 (1).jpg

Scammell and tasker loaded at Seletar.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mick Norton said:

FAO Richard Tarrant,

Dear Richard,

Earlier this year you very kindly provided data for the SMT 2 trailer.

I wondered if you might assist on the following:

• FV3621(A), Trailer, 20 - ton, 8 TW/2L, low loading.  (see attached Serial 1 second item)

I am particularly interested in being able to establish the year of manufacture/entry into service from the plates on the Tasker trailer.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Mick  (micknorton1944@gmail.com)

Hi Mick,

Looking at the booklet from FVRDE Chertsey for their vehicle exhibition in 1954, this trailer is featered with the statement "This trailer is used for the transportation of RE equipment and general service carrier". I also remember the one we had in the recovery section of the Command Workshop around 1974 and the army registration was from the series starting around 1950, so it falls in around 1950 to 54. There were three manufacturers according to FVRDE, Taskers, Hands and British Trailers. Ours was always known as a Taskers.

regards, Richard

There were  five contracts placed for this type of trailer  BRITISH TRAILERS 6/V/5592 HANDS 6/V/5948 TASKER  the  largest  supplier  with three contracts 6/V/5947  6/V/9403 and last 6/v/19104 these were supplied over a number of years if you had a contract number or army ERM it is possible to date it

2 hours ago, Mick Norton said:

Thanks Richard,

Is the Tasker featured similarly to the information you provided on the SMT?

Mick

Mick,

This is from an official book from the Society of Motor Manufacturers  in collaboration with the Ministry of Supply for the exhibition of British Military Vehicles at the Fighting Vehicles Research & Development Establishment, Chertsey.

Tasker (2).jpg

In a previous thread Wally Duggan posted:

This is a list of BD allocated numbers for the trailer fv3621 {A}

08 BD 86 to 09 BD 50 CONTRACT NUMBER 6/V/5592 made by British Trailer

12 BD 30 to 12 BD 73 contract number 6/V/5948 made by HANDS

20 BD 43 to 20 BD 98 contract number 6/V/5947 made by TASKER yours is in this batch

31 BD 90 to 31 BD 99 contract number5592 made by British Trailer

This all there is in the BD range

BD covers the period 1951/2

Dear Richard/Wally,

Indebted for data thus far.

Tasker trailer in question not in batch as outlined in earlier thread by Wally Duggan and holds former WD registration number, 87 BL 74.  both trailer plates with relevant information attached.

I note one plate denotes that overhaul took place in possibly 1959.

Can you add information for BL and period covered?

Thanks,

Mick

Tasker 2 87BL74.jpg

Tasker 1 87BL74.jpg

14733733347_05beee85df_k.jpg

87 BL 74 is in contract 6/v/9403 in series 87 BL 43 T0  89 BL  42 a point  these batches of registration number relate to a financial  year but it does not always follow that they were all made in that year

ps mick I did mention this contract in the lists of contracts in my reply

Edited by wally dugan
foot note