Help, Trying to repair a Rifle sling.

webkitlover

Hi I was given this SLR or lee Enfield (I assume) sling to attempt a repair, it is cotton canvas and it's blanco'ed white.

Capture.JPG.4f198d058372348073989a727df5215f.JPG

someone had removed and replaced the original brass rivets with cheap aluminium ones, which also distorted the brass plate .

I've managed to remove the alu ones quite easily, but not sure where to get brass replacements, do they exist?

or am I going to have to do a mock up?

I have brass grommets like you get on the edge of a tarp I could fill with a thicker piece of brass and somehow shape it.

otherwise I'm stuck.

6 hours ago, webkitlover said:

Hi I was given this SLR or lee Enfield (I assume) sling to attempt a repair, it is cotton canvas and it's blanco'ed white.

Capture.JPG.4f198d058372348073989a727df5215f.JPG

someone had removed and replaced the original brass rivets with cheap aluminium ones, which also distorted the brass plate .

I've managed to remove the alu ones quite easily, but not sure where to get brass replacements, do they exist?

or am I going to have to do a mock up?

I have brass grommets like you get on the edge of a tarp I could fill with a thicker piece of brass and somehow shape it.

otherwise I'm stuck.

Are these rivets hollow, like the ones use on 37 Pattern webbing? If so I think I have some, although you will need the correct tool to form them..

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 11:34 AM, Tony B said:

Have a word with your local Saddler, they may well have something suitable about, and the gadget to fix them in.

LOL my local saddler 🤣 I might have to travel back in time for that!

not many of them where I live, I will try to have a look though, the rivets I have are either to small or too big, and the only other ones I've found are the wrong colour, thanks for the advice

6 hours ago, webkitlover said:

LOL my local saddler 🤣 I might have to travel back in time for that!

not many of them where I live, I will try to have a look though, the rivets I have are either to small or too big, and the only other ones I've found are the wrong colour, thanks for the advice

Thas were we Carrot Crunchers truimph over they City Slickers! The do also patch canvas for us, and supply proofer, fix leather. Very useful people. 😁