WW2 Vehicle slam latch assembly

robin craig

Question

Good day everyone,

The pictures attached show a slam latch (my name for it) and it shows it opens from one side by using the lever and from the other side by inserting a key into it.

Does anyone recognise the latch and have you ever seen a key for it and can you show a picture of the key please?

Yes I am aware of the vehicle this one comes from, I am asking the blind question to avoid asking a leading question.

Thanks in advance

Lynx slam latch 01.jpg

Lynx slam latch 02.jpg

Lynx slam latch 03.jpg

4 answers to this question

Robin,

I posted a reply to this on MLU forum, basically to say that as the Lynx body concept was a copy of the Daimler Scout Car, the lock is pretty much identical. New Daimler locks came with a key, but not listed separately in the parts book. The key was listed in the Daimler CES though. I made a key for a Daimler, copying a key from another vehicle and they are all the same. Just like an old fashioned door key, nothing out of the ordinary.

2 minutes ago, robin craig said:

So then, who has a Daimler Dingo key then? Thank you Richard, as always a fountain of knowledge.

The lock you showed has rounded corners to the casing, the Daimler lock has sharp corners, this means it is not the same lock, therefore the key may be different on the end.

Richard,

I have done some preliminary sketches on what the key needs for features, one is that the end is a pivot point in the hole on the opposite side. It was for interest and reduction of labour. I asked if a Dingo key is the same and if they were available I would buy one rather than make it. Lord only knows I have enough to do without this but hey ho the owner is a chum and I like projects. Lets see what results we get before I go rummaging for stock steel to play with.

Thank you for your help Richard.

Edited by robin craig