Jump to content
paul connor

Damiler Dingo Ownership

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 

 

I was wondering if some people could offer some advice?

I am pondering the tentative steps into WW2 Armour and wanted some pointers on what to look out for in regards to purchasing a Daimler Dingo. I have often admired this little wheeled vehicle and think it would fit the bill for me. As it can be transported with a trailer and wouldn't take up too much space in the workshop.

What are they like to own, drive and service? 

Are the parts a major issue, or are there a few dealers with bits in abundance?

Any tips would be appreciated, also any pointers as to who may have one, ideally for restoration available early next year would be brilliant.

 

Thanks in advance

 

Paul

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only just seen this query. I have had a dingo for nearly 30 years and can only agree that they are wonderful. They are simple to operate and maintain (compared to other ww2 armour!) but spares are no longer plentiful. Major problem in using them is the lack of tyres. They use solid 7:00 by 18s which are all but unavailable so you need to bear the tyre condition in mind when looking for one to buy and also consider seriously limiting  the annual mileage driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Pearson said:

I have only just seen this query. I have had a dingo for nearly 30 years and can only agree that they are wonderful. They are simple to operate and maintain (compared to other ww2 armour!) but spares are no longer plentiful. Major problem in using them is the lack of tyres. They use solid 7:00 by 18s which are all but unavailable so you need to bear the tyre condition in mind when looking for one to buy and also consider seriously limiting  the annual mileage driven.

Hi John,

Just for my own personal interest and it may help others here - do they have to use solid tyres? obviously they ran on solid tyres originally to eliminate the hazard of punctures or shot out tyres on the battlefield. Could pneumatic tyres of the same size not be substituted now? Maybe they are equally rare i don't know.

Thanks, Richard

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scammell4199 said:

Hi John,

Just for my own personal interest and it may help others here - do they have to use solid tyres? obviously they ran on solid tyres originally to eliminate the hazard of punctures or shot out tyres on the battlefield. Could pneumatic tyres of the same size not be substituted now? Maybe they are equally rare i don't know.

Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard,

The Dingo did run on pneumatic runflat tyres originally, same type of tyre as a Ferret in construction. Later on another version of the tyre was introduced that did away with having a tube as the casing was much thicker and with a bead spacer there was still a cavity inside to give the tyre some absorbance. They are often described as 'solid', this is a misnomer. I fitted some truck tyres of the correct size to one on instructions from a customer and they performed perfectly on the road and despite having road tread pattern I could not get it stuck in mud. I note that this vehicle was recently sold and described as having a good ride. 

regards, Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Richard,

The Dingo did run on pneumatic runflat tyres originally, same type of tyre as a Ferret in construction. Later on another version of the tyre was introduced that did away with having a tube as the casing was much thicker and with a bead spacer there was still a cavity inside to give the tyre some absorbance. They are often described as 'solid', this is a misnomer. I fitted some truck tyres of the correct size to one on instructions from a customer and they performed perfectly on the road and despite having road tread pattern I could not get it stuck in mud. I note that this vehicle was recently sold and described as having a good ride. 

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard.

My missus wants a Dingo after i introduced her to one on the Boar Tour last year, but think i'll be getting something on tracks before that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Paul

Moving a Dingo by trailer puts you on the edge of the 3 ton limit for non air brake trailers. I moved mine on a three axel low centre of gravity IW trailer for short distances, but not on major roads as you stand a chance of being stopped and directed to a weigh bridge, then invited to the local magistrates court.

Spares are around, david beales engineering 01132171643, d.beales@ntlworld.com + e-bay shop.

Richard Banister 01797253211 or here on the forum, our in house expert Richard Farrant for advise.

 

Cheers Mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i tow my dingo on a 3 axle trailer and have done hundreds of miles with no problems. it's also under the weight limit of 3.5t just make sure the towing vehicle is rated to pull and that the tow bar is as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...