75th anniversary disappointing Hells Highway vehicles convoy

Danny P

Last Saturday I 've watched the 75th anniversary Hells Highway southern route vehicles convoy about 10 km from the starting point in Leopoldsburg Belgium. To me as a British vehicles enthousiast the convoy was very disappointing. Hardly any British WWII vehicles. I remember only one Bedford MW, one Fordson WOT2, one C15 CMP, a few utility cars and that's about it. Maybe I have forgotten one but at least no British armoured vehicles, no bren carriers and no tanks at all. If I have looked closely I have hardly seen British license plates on the vehicles. The passing of the convoy took only half an hour. I hope it will be worth it to drive all the way up to Nijmegen next Sunday September 22nd in the hope to see an awesome convoy. WHERE WILL THE BRITISH BE WITH THEIR BRITISH VEHICLES?????????WHERE DO I HAVE TO BE?????????

Cheers, Danny :(

5 hours ago, Danny P said:

Last Saturday I 've watched the 75th anniversary Hells Highway southern route vehicles convoy about 10 km from the starting point in Leopoldsburg Belgium. To me as a British vehicles enthousiast the convoy was very disappointing. Hardly any British WWII vehicles. I remember only one Bedford MW, one Fordson WOT2, one C15 CMP, a few utility cars and that's about it. Maybe I have forgotten one but at least no British armoured vehicles, no bren carriers and no tanks at all. If I have looked closely I have hardly seen British license plates on the vehicles. The passing of the convoy took only half an hour. I hope it will be worth it to drive all the way up to Nijmegen next Sunday September 22nd in the hope to see an awesome convoy. WHERE WILL THE BRITISH BE WITH THEIR BRITISH VEHICLES?????????WHERE DO I HAVE TO BE?????????

Cheers, Danny :(

You need to look on the Groesbeek DZ/LZ on the edge of Nijmegen to find all the nice British vehicles - I think they arrived last night and are there for 2 days - best check the "Liberation Task Force" Facebook page for full details.

EDIT - if you wait till Sunday 22nd it will be too late and they will have gone somewhere else - now is the time to go.

Tim

Edited by Packhow75

Thank you Pete and Tim! Awesome video …!

Maybe I am late with my questions and had to ask them before all started! I hope all these vehicles shown in the video Pete added to this post will participate in the northern convoy route this comming Sunday? If I'm right this route will travel from base camp in Schijndel to the other camp in Grave, then to Groesbeek and ending in Nijmegen. Does anybody perhaps know? I only have the oppertunity to go on Sunday and I would like to see all the British very much.

Thanks,

Danny

2 hours ago, Danny P said:

Thank you Pete and Tim! Awesome video …!

Maybe I am late with my questions and had to ask them before all started! I hope all these vehicles shown in the video Pete added to this post will participate in the northern convoy route this comming Sunday? If I'm right this route will travel from base camp in Schijndel to the other camp in Grave, then to Groesbeek and ending in Nijmegen. Does anybody perhaps know? I only have the oppertunity to go on Sunday and I would like to see all the British very much.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny

Take a look at the Liberation Task Force page on Facebook.

Unfortunately I am not in the Netherlands to know what their timetable is for sure.

Tim

Yesterday I read a Dutch newspaper article about the event with which everything became clear to me.

There appear to be two organization groups i.e. "Liberation task force" and "Stichting operation Market Garden". The southern and northern convoy routes are organized by the "Stichting operation Market Garden" in which in particular US vehicles participate. In the  "Liberation task force" in particular British vehicles participate.

I didn't know that. The reason of two organization groups is a difference in insight about what the event should look like. Let's not discuss about that topic. So, to me, as a British vehicle enthousiast it doesn't make much sense to drive all the way to Nijmegen or area to see the so called "northern route" on Sunday 22nd of September.

Cheers,

Danny

6 hours ago, Danny P said:

Yesterday I read a Dutch newspaper article about the event with which everything became clear to me.

There appear to be two organization groups i.e. "Liberation task force" and "Stichting operation Market Garden". The southern and northern convoy routes are organized by the "Stichting operation Market Garden" in which in particular US vehicles participate. In the  "Liberation task force" in particular British vehicles participate.

I didn't know that. The reason of two organization groups is a difference in insight about what the event should look like. Let's not discuss about that topic. So, to me, as a British vehicle enthousiast it doesn't make much sense to drive all the way to Nijmegen or area to see the so called "northern route" on Sunday 22nd of September.

Cheers,

Danny

Danny

Correct there are two tours

The Dutch (Keep them Rolling?) one "Stichting operation Market Garden" which is open to any vehicle and any clothing styles.

The LTF  one which is recreating the British 30 corps - so is only open to vehicles which would have been used by 30 corps at the time... and for which the vehicle crews have made an effort to wear authentic uniform and have authentic equipment.

If you want British vehicles etc... then the LTF tour is the one to follow.,, You need to look at their facebook page to find out where they are now and where they will be over the weekend.

Tim

Thank you Tim for this addition!

Unfortunately I 'm not on facebook and the LTF website does not show a detailed program. Is there a chance for me to find out if and where I can watch the XXX corps tommorrow September 22nd as this is my last chance. I would also like to show this to my son who is 18 years old and has never seen this. I would be greatful if anybody can tell me where to be tomorrow for the XXX corps!!!

Many thanks,

Danny

Sorry for the late addition but I saw this on Facebook tonight (21st)

" The amazing column of military vehicles is now camped on the island near Oosterhout until sunday when they will begin to disperse back to their countries of origin.
If you wish to attend the camp please do you are very welcome and their is no charge to do so. "

• 3 months later...

Danny, I was fortunate enough to be on the LTF XXX Corps tour in my Dodge D15.
Unfortunately the tour organisers had some problems with the Belgian authorities the day before the southern route start. The organisers stated that tracked vehicle permits were withdrawn/not issued by the Belgian Authorities, so the impressive array of armour on the tour had to start in Holland on an alternative route.

We were lucky enough to be with the small contingent permitted to drive in Belgium from Lommel over Joes bridge to start the tour. 
I have linked my video of the main column waiting in holland while those of us chosen to start the tour in Belgium passed them by. It was an impressive sight, and I really hope you got to see some of these magnificent vehicles while we were on tour.
https://youtu.be/--6a8rPB2KI