SirLanceUK

Cupola CVRT

Hi,

As many of you will know I am in the process of rebuilding a CVRT Spartan. One of the features about the Spartan is the commanders Cupola. Like many that have sat around for years in all weathers my Cupola does not move. I have stripped down the winding mechanism and that is working correctly, took a great deal of blood sweat and tears but was little and easily fitted on my workbench. 

So the Cupola does not move, all the brakes have been removed so I am guessing water has got in and rust has seized the bearings. I have been through all the drawings I can find and nothing tells me how it works or is detailed enough to show my were the bearings are.

So how can the forum help... Does anyone know where I can get "detailed" drawings from or if there is a video somewhere showing how it should work, or even show me one working :)

in anticipation of your help

Lance

Front.jpg

1 minute ago, sirhc said:

Lance,

do you have the Spartan ISPL?

https://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/cvrt-spartan-illustrated-parts-list-209-p.asp

You might find it useful..

Chris

D288DCFE-B6DA-4A4D-9F74-A8F0939F3EB5.jpeg

Thanks for that, believe it or not I have a document claiming to be that document but from Jul 05 but it does not display items 3 or 4 as the ball bearings its 3 and 4 are bearing rings but funny enough the diagram is on the same page....

D288DCFE-B6DA-4A4D-9F74-A8F0939F3EB5.thumb.jpeg.5dbc541ec0d6abd837a4fcc4e1a3405a[1].jpg

The bearing ring probably went to being replaced as a complete unit rather than serviceable parts.

Can you please send/ confirm to me the part number if you have it. and shame as it shows the ball bearings as different items, so raised my hopes that I might be able to do something

If you take it to bits you should be able to strip it and grease the bearings. 

1 minute ago, sirhc said:

If you take it to bits you should be able to strip it and grease the bearings. 

That's good news, I was slightly concerned when you said it was a replacement part

i stripped and rebuilt a Striker cupola bearing - there really are A LOT of bearing rollers in there! I needed to get a bit creative and find a mechanised method of cleaning up the rollers as doing each one individually was not really viable - I found the most effective way was dumping all the rollers in a bucket of diesel with a handful of sand and stirring the whole lot with a paint stirrer attached to  drill. After about twenty minutes most of the rust was removed from them, then I washed them all and carefully re-assembled the bearing. 

9 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

i stripped and rebuilt a Striker cupola bearing - there really are A LOT of bearing rollers in there! I needed to get a bit creative and find a mechanised method of cleaning up the rollers as doing each one individually was not really viable - I found the most effective way was dumping all the rollers in a bucket of diesel with a handful of sand and stirring the whole lot with a paint stirrer attached to  drill. After about twenty minutes most of the rust was removed from them, then I washed them all and carefully re-assembled the bearing. 

As you have done this before I hope you don't mind if I get stuck I ask you for help