New [to me] Jeep

Happyoldgit

Yes, fascinating place. I'm looking out my window over the airfield as I type this.

Subsequent to that photo I have removed the fantasy hood number and am contemplating marking her up to represent one of the many units that were here - perhaps even from the time of Operation Carthage. Previous owner in the UK had the truck  resprayed and added SFHD [San Fransisco Harbour Defence] markings. The vehicle spent her postwar life local to SF from 1946 - 2013 having been cast / sold by the military at the Benicia Arsenal in June 25 '46. She remained in her first civilian owners hands until she was bought in recent years by a chap with a garage locally who had carried out the annual servicing starting in 1963. The thinking behind the markings was that given the point of disposal the vehicle may have been used by the SFHD ....but of course nothing is certain. What is certain is that it was fitted with a later replacement engine before being cast by the military [see below].

The first civi owner paid a fair chunk of money for the Jeep too. Fortunately the Jeep has retained its bill of sale  / permission to collect from the Office Of Surplus property form. 

IMG_20190822_155258379A.jpg.a93e44db50db45890a046d84b04cb588.jpg

An interesting article regarding that particular sale from the San Fransisco Chronicle here - includes some good photos [click on the images to see them all] .

01.jpg.ab472861d56a927ae244595168bccd62.jpg

Hi, when you said your 43MB was photographed at Fersfield I must admit I had never heard of the place so I googled its airfield history also looking on a map I couldn't believe how close it is to Thorpe Abbotts, Eye and Tibenham, having driven past Thorpe Abbotts many times.

Its nice you have history with your jeep.

Regards Jonny Garwood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether anyone will get back to me on this, however I thought it was worth a shot as there has been quite a bit of interest in the Fersfield Nissen Huts (Site 11). My father purchased the land of Site 11 and is actively working to restore the 2 main Nissen Huts, he has also started to restore one which was to the right of the main 2.

This is a long shot, but I was curious as to whether anyone may have any pictures of the Nissen Huts when they were in better condition? Possibly during/just after the war? Or any pictures at all would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to give these to my father as a gift so it would be amazing if anyone is able to help.

Please feel free to respond to me through this post, or contact me via my email: georgie.ann@hotmail.com

I hope you're all staying safe and are well during these strange times.

Best regards

Georgie