Ex-Military Morris Traveller?

MatchFuzee

I would say that it is a genuine military Morris Minor Traveller as it still has the military data plate in place on the bulkhead under the bonnet. The 'T'  registration also suggests ex military as the last civilian Travellers were 'J' registration and this one would have been given a new registration when cast in 1978/9.

Whether it was used as a bomb disposal vehicle is open to debate maybe someone will recognise the Military registration that is in the back of the car.

I passed my driving test in 1975 in a military Minor Traveller when I was at AAC Arborfield, it had been given a military respray and everything except the windows and lights was green, woodwork, tyres, bumpers etc. All deep bronze green.

I have just noticed that this Minor has a tow bar, could it have belonged to the late Godfrey Crew? If it did then it is a genuine bomb disposal vehicle.

Edited by johnwardle
Extra added

25 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Has made me think the old Moggy is an iconic vehicle. Asociated with Bomb disposal, Distric nurses, Police panda cars, the GPO and the wheels falling off. 😀

Not long after I'd learnt to drive in a Traveller, I used to see the adverts for the auctions of cast military Minors in the paper. Some of the spares - re-con engines on pallets and the like used to turn up  for sale through dealers at MMOC rallies. Here's my civvy one this year

68541736_2976016775758465_122371078621233152_o.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andym said:

One of my friends at college had a soft top split-screen convertible.  We put a Rover 3.5 litre V8 in it ...

Andy

The joys of motoring without a Haynes manual  LoL

In 1967 I fitted a A Series engine out of a Minor 1000 into a split-screen Minor , well I did when I returned to the scrap-yard to purchase a few extra items , forget exactly - was it front engine mountings or radiator mountings (probably along with a radiator).  . 

Edited by ruxy
spelin

On 9/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, No Signals said:

I recall, in the early 1970's going to Ruddington and seeing a number of green Travellers up for sale, the notable detail being that they all had a steel cupola over the passenger seat.  I've often wondered where they all ended up as I've never seen one since.

Traveller Wimik??

Would this be a genuine bomb disposal vehicle or has someone made it up?

F29ACW.jpg

3 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Traveller Wimik??

Would this be a genuine bomb disposal vehicle or has someone made it up?

F29ACW.jpg

This surely is a Morris panel van, not a Traveller.

I spoke to the owner some decades ago, he had a broad Welsh accent & told me he had bought it from a Mrs Prosser but he had decided to depict it as a military vehicle in the markings of a Bomb Disposal vehicle. He said he had never seen evidence that such vehicles were used his role but if they had been used this is how it would have looked. He added that nobody had corrected him on his representation as not being realistic.

The thing is, it not very pleasant to go up to someone with their vehicle & start an argument with the owner's pride & joy. They are not likely to make any changes on the basis of such an observation that would be taken as criticism. To me it would have looked nicer restored as a GPO linesman's van, which I think is what it was. He was pleasant old chap who had been quite open about its history so I just smiled, thanked him & walked away.