Austin K6 - Museum of Army Transport at Beverley

Radek

After the Beverley museum closed, the K6 was moved to the REME Museum, this photo was taken years ago at the reserve collection at Bordon, ... there were apparently two K6's there, both were restored and one is now on display at the Museum which has now moved to Lyneham in Wiltshire

https://www.rememuseum.org.uk/

1943 Austin K6/A Lorry at the REME Bordon Museum

Edited by Nick Johns

3 hours ago, Nick Johns said:

After the Beverley museum closed, the K6 was moved to the REME Museum, this photo was taken years ago at the reserve collection at Bordon, ... there were apparently two K6's there, one was later restored, not sure which one, and painted  green and is now on display at the Museum which has now moved to Lyneham in Wiltshire

https://www.rememuseum.org.uk/

Hi Nick,

Two K6 Gantry trucks were both restored for the REME Museum around 1989-90, by 44 District Workshop REME at Ashford. The green one (now at Lyneham) was the first one done, the the sand coloured one was done after. Some years later the sand one was sold off and it ended up with one of the HMVF forum members for a while. I was able to identify it as the one the Geoff Theobald once owned and it was seen in one of his home movies from the 60's/70's era, on a steam car website. It has now moved on again, last heard of in Essex I think.

regards, Richard

lRADEK  l have waited before replying the K6  at Beverley was indeed sent to the REME collection but it is not the sand one done by 44 District workshops Ashford the one from Beverley was sent from Bicester to the museum when it was on display in hanger five at what  was then called the ARMY SCHOOL OF MECHNICAL TRANSPORT  based at Leconfield the receipted voucher is dated 6/12/77  voucher number BIC 1158 accession  number T 0626 post war registration  98 RC 23 all this from the RQMS LEDGER for all vehicles  held by the  MUSEUM OF ARMY TRANSPORT from its conception to it closure l also note that it has lost  both its head lights?

WALLY

Edited by wally dugan
amendment to text

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:58 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Nick,

Two K6 Gantry trucks were both restored for the REME Museum around 1989-90, by 44 District Workshop REME at Ashford. The green one (now at Lyneham) was the first one done, the the sand coloured one was done after. Some years later the sand one was sold off and it ended up with one of the HMVF forum members for a while. I was able to identify it as the one the Geoff Theobald once owned and it was seen in one of his home movies from the 60's/70's era, on a steam car website. It has now moved on again, last heard of in Essex I think.

regards, Richard

I beleive this is the other one ? Normandy 2014

DSC02042.JPG

Wally, 98RC23 is possibly an error in the RQMS ledger. According to your post 14/4/2016 in thread 27014  "Post war sales catalogues" this is in a range allocated to Bedford QL TCVs, which is also as shown in Appendix 2 of the book 'Bedford to Berlin and beyond - Bedford QL: The Forces Favourite 4x4'. My understanding is that rebuild VRN ranges were allocated when the rebuild contract was issued, so other vehicle types in the range are presumably not likely?

I have identified 92RC98 as a K6 gantry, and 'Bedford to Berlin' Appendix 2 shows a Bedford QL range starting at 93RC60, which is the next number I have, so could 98RC23 actually have been 93RC23?

As you say any one can make a mistake l have now found the  Bicester receipt voucher as well as the national audit list of vehicles which is the most complete and  the museums records  the correct number is 92 RC 23 l have now change the entry in the RQMS LEDGER and attached the reason

Edited by wally dugan

On the subject of ex-Beverley museum vehicles, does anyone know what happened to the Bedford RL water tanker with a mine protected cab that had been converted to a fire tender for use by the UN at Nicosia? I have a handful of photos of it, including one taken at the museum where it looked in need of some TLC..

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 7:43 PM, Ian L said:

I beleive this is the other one ? Normandy 2014

DSC02042.JPG

That’s my old lorry, I bought it off Pete Gaine, I spoke to Geoff a couple of times just before he died. He had booked a day to come and see her and have a drive, sadly he died before it happened.

I sold it to a guy in Essex to fund buying a family part owned Bedford OY.

I still vividly remember the pain sleeping in the back and getting up and forgetting about that bloody RSJ ! 😭 this happened frequently ! 

Edited by HotBed