What colour scheme for 1955 RAF Scammell Explorer?

Mr T

Hi there

A while back I posted a question about the original colour scheme of my Scammell Explorer - 07 AH 49.

I am looking to tidy and paint it in preparation for sale but would like to use the original colours. In the previous thread - a few years ago it was suggested it may have been yellow and blue or just yellow.

It was also mentioned that there may have been photos of it at RAF Chivenor.  Any information will be very much appreciated.  

20190811_190454.jpg

Here it is in blue but the shade looks wrong: 

https://www.emergency-vehicles.co.uk/Emergency-Vehicles-Online/UK/UK-Military/Royal-Air-Force-Preserved/Preserved-Vehicles/i-fRHS8ww/A

DBG always looks good but not high viz yellow.

Looking at your photo again is that green or has the blue faded badly?

Edited by radiomike7

The blue in the pic in the link was painted about 2007 and it has just faded badly over time. I’m sure that photo was taken at War and Peace.  I’m looking for original RAF colours to make it look a lot better.

I can confirm your Explorer was at RAF Chivenor in  N Devon.This picture was posted several years ago on the RAF MT drivers website; the colour was obviously too light for RAF Blue Grey so I contacted the chap that had posted the picture and back in the day was the Explorers driver; In addition to its primary vehicle recovery role it also formed part of the technical response to aircraft emergencies and was therefore in airfield colours of BS 381 tint 356 Golden Yellow; hope this helps. Re the colour of the first message, RAF Blue Grey was very prone to fading, I joined in 64 and apart from some airfield vehicles being all yellow, the standard colour was RAF Blue Grey until the tone down commenced in the early 1970s, your picture reminds me of a faded vehicle of that period. 

Ted

524618127_07AH49CHIVENOR1968.jpg.ea0a6df8407c939e15ec80f279c3e210.jpg