AEC. Steering Gear identification

gwrightoy

Can anyone tell me what this fits please. It looks like Militant or Matador. I need someone with a nato numbered parts list to identify it. See photos. Open to any offers. Now seems to be militant Mk1. Thanks Graeme 07765086115

IMG_20190805_204942.jpg

IMG_20190805_205002.jpg

IMG_20190805_205018.jpg

IMG_20190805_205313.jpg

IMG_20190805_205326.jpg

IMG_20190805_205340.jpg

IMG_20190805_205416.jpg

Edited by gwrightoy
More information

43 minutes ago, Chris Hall said:

A check of the NSN suggests Alvis.

Chris

I have no idea why you think this part is related to Alvis. LV7/FW was definitely AEC  (the FW related to the origins of AEC military vehicles and Hardy FWD pre-war). The packers label shows the supplier as ACV Sales Ltd. This was Associated Commercial Vehicles Ltd (ie AEC).

There are pictures of a Millitant steering colum in pieces on this Forum. One of the members had a problem with the worm climbing the wheel when he turned a corner, I cannot remember which member though. May have been the Millitant in Ireland

55 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

NSN does not identify the supplier. The first group of 4 digits identify the group, or clothing, tent age, engine parts, brake parts and so on. Next 2 digits identify country of origin, ie 99 is UK

No it doesn’t but the last 7 are usually grouped so if you find an NSN close to an unknown one, usually (but not in this case) they are associated. There are quite a few NSNs On MJDI that are close to this unknown one and they are Alvis. It’s possible the NSN is close to a block change or the Alvis ones are a random small block retained as they were is service a lot longer.

unfortunately MJDI doesn’t keep records of obsolete NSNs prior to it’s inception so it will mean trawling through hard copy IPCs.

Been studying my Mk1 Militant parts book, and that does look a lot like the one in the picture.

Book is too old for NATO stock numbers.  Steering column number is listed as M0337 if any one else can take identification further.

As John1950 mentioned earlier Forum member Hutch from Ireland is having major problems with his militant and a new column could solve all his issues.  I'll give him a shout in case he hasn't seen this

I've managed to repair my old PC that has access to my NSN data & have some results for you.

2530-99-835-4526

RAF Vocab Ref 61AE40759 (As you might guess 61AE is the vocab section for AEC mechanical transport)

LV7/FW/M0337 This is the old VAOS (Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores) item reference. As already discussed the old VAOS section was utilised as the DMC (Domestic Management Code) preceding the NSN.

The nice thing about VAOS items that mostly the section prefix precedes the manufacturer's part no & in this case it is M0337.

So hope that helps. I have now mislaid the AEC parts list I was referring to in our PMs before this thread got under way, but I expect someone will be along to identify M0337 for you.

Incidentally if anyone has any early NSNs that cannot be identified by an internet search (as they only relate to more modern items) then I may be able to help for stuff codified & current 25 years ago.

PS I see M0337 corresponds to a part mentioned earlier : )