Best primer to use

MilitaryTrucks

Question

I need to do some restoration to parts of my Leyland Daf 4x4. There are spots of non to serious rust in various places on the body but the front wings are both in a sorry staff with rust having gone through in two places on both. After stripping back to metal and repairing I was wondering what type of primer to use on all these areas. Some would be visible but as it is stored outside would get very wet and others would be hidden from view and liable to get very wet and dirty.  The old red oxide of my youth seems to have been replaced by Zinc Chromate as a primer. Is this right? In addition there also appears to now be epoxy primers which some people say coat very thickly and should not be used on visible surfaces. Would the advice be to use the zinc chromate on visible surfaces and an epoxy on the hidden or would one of them do both and in which case which would be best? If there is a better option I would also be very interested in this as well. If one is also more forgiving of amateur surface preparation and use this would also be useful to know. All advice would be very gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Bob   

Edited by MilitaryTrucks
Correction of text

7 answers to this question

I rate Bonda Primer  better than such as Hammerite No.1  (that I believe is Corroless glass flake technology).  Being Rustins , I used to easily find it at DIY places among their shelf products - Danish Oil etc. etc.   I need some just now for a relatively small brush job & can't find it locally - seems I will have to order on-line.   At least it seems still available in 1L size , not the now common  750ml.    Rustins also do a anti-corrosive metal primer in grey , I suspect this is NOT  the same recipe as their  'Bonda'

I've never used Bonda, but a tin ready to try,  have used the older Hammerite Red oxide primer in the past, I used it on a phone box, the box was stripped to bare metal, the primer was brushed on but was excellent it had two coates, I left it in primer a few months and at the time I think it rained for about six weeks solid. 

After 4 years no signs of rust etc and its been out side since, I did my matchless WD G3L frame in it and had same results, Must admit not over keen on the newer Hammerite is a slightly different colour and a lot a thicker, seems to dry as soon as its off the brush..... but have spraid an old metal bin with it and its been in the weather for the last year and is still as good as the day I sprayed it.