RB44 generator

Hello

I have a Reynolds Broughton 44 . Bates equipped truck.

I was wondering if the engine driven generator is 24 volt ? I'm guessing by the 4 x Hawker 110ah 12 v battery's with 2 banks wired in parallel that it is a 24 v system with the 4 battery's producing 440 ah ?

Is there any kind of regulator to prevent overcharging , boiling up the battery's ? Also is there any way of converting it down to 12 volts so I can run the battery's in series 12 volts so battery's are charged when driving  and without changing all the wiring It can easily when parked up run a fridge, lights and recieve top up charge from my 200 watt  12volt solar panels.

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge most appreciated , basically I was hoping to keep the engine generator to charge up battery's for leisure camper van type use and not military radios .

Cheers guys

3 hours ago, majorweld said:

Hello

I was wondering if the engine driven generator is 24 volt ? I'm guessing by the 4 x Hawker 110ah 12 v battery's with 2 banks wired in parallel that it is a 24 v system with the 4 battery's producing 440 ah ?

No, 4x12v 110ah batteries wired in series/parallel would give 24v 220ah

Edited by radiomike7

Hi

All BATES and BMETS RB44 were FFRs so the system could run itself but with the ability to use an external 24v source if available. I can not remember if there was a second 12v alternator fitted as standard as with some landrovers. The regulation is via the standard FFR system, but if the batteries are not checked they will run dry, bad maintenance!!!!

The VEHICLE is a 12volts system. The supply for the Radio Shack is 24v. TWO separate compartments for the batteries of each system. I think there were two alternators fitted? Obvs 12v for the vehicle, & the bigger 24v version for the shack.

Without refering to a wiring diagram, this is unconfirmed. But BELIEVED correct.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever answer the original question? It’s just I’m having the same issue with a Wolf FFR generator over charging - the standing voltage generated is 28.6v ( fine fo4 the two leisure batteries). However when running and speeding along the voltage goes up relative to speed. I’m getting 32 v at 55mph. So a regulator of some sort needed - would appreciate any suggestions.