Ferret fuses and circuit breakers

philb

A pal of mine has just bought a Ferret and I'm trying to help him get it running. With a pair of good batteries all the electrics work except that the oil and generator warning lights are off and the starter circuit does not work when the ignition switch is on. We have EMERs but they seem to describe earlier (I guess) versions of the generator panel which we think have a fuse for the ignition circuit. Our panel does not seem to have fuses anywhere. So, my question is: how is the ignition circuit protected and what do I have to do to energise it? Any help appreciated.

Phil

Phil the ignition circuit is protected by a 10A cutout in the Distribution Panel No.1, which resets itself after a short while. It is not unknown for water to get & the contacts corrode. Despite this apparent open circuit the winding of the cutout is about 200  ohms still allows 24v to be picked up with a voltmeter. But of course with 200 ohms cannot deliver any useful current.

Has the Ferret charging system been upgraded to alternator ie Generator No.10 Mk 3 & Gen Panel No.9 Mk 4?

Or does it still have the dynamo ie Generator No.2 & Gen Panel No.2? If it this there are two fuses (one wire & one metal strip) These are found by unscrewing the mount that supports the two fording caps where you access the two micro-switches that are released when the fording caps are removed to limit the charging current whilst fording.

Phil the ignition 10A thermal cutout is housed in Box Distribution No.1 Mk 1 to the left of the Gen Panel.

Look in the latest version of All Charged Up in the Ferret section I have drawn out a diagram of the associated wiring linking the units.