EARTHQUAKE BOMB ASHLEY RANGE

I was visiting the old bomb sites for the earthquake bombs testing that destroyed the Tirpitz battle ship . It a beautiful area now but still has the crater that the TALLBOY earthquake bomb was tested. It also has the  bomb direction arrow  in concrete still there. Churchill and Eisenhower stood on it as they watched experimental bombs being exploded. The craters are large

IMG_20190717_193741_resized_20190718_100749885.jpg

IMG_20190717_193823_resized_20190718_100750183.jpg

IMG_20190717_194016_resized_20190718_100749622.jpg

IMG_20190717_194411_resized_20190718_100750521.jpg

IMG_20190717_194428.jpg

Great to hear personal family histories. The tall boy bomb just fit the Lancaster bomb bay .I think I heard it was 21ft high and took two days to load with explosive but it broke the windows all around for several miles and lifted the Tirpitz out of the water

and broke it back

Not related but my great friend completed 2 tours of 30 operations on Lancaster's with 75 and 550 Squadrons. He was a flight engineer and aimed for half a mile to the gallon as the optimum for operations. Filling in a log of oil pressures, temperature and transferring fuel to keep the trim and weights even. Always admired him and had plenty of time for chat and doing jobs around his house, mainly fitting lights. He was Terry Murphy, my hand goes out to all in Bomber Command for a difficult job well done night after night.

Great to hear personal family histories. The tall boy bomb just fit the Lancaster bomb bay .I think I heard it was 21ft high and took two days to load with explosive but it broke the windows all around for several miles and lifted the Tirpitz out of the water

and broke it back

27 minutes ago, tankdiver said:

The bomber crews had a tough job very brave men we owe them a lot it took sum guts to do it.

Agreed, the attrition rate in bomber command was something like 44% and I still marvel at how Gibson clocked up 173 ops, Cheshire over 100 and Tait 103.  A tour of duty was 30 ops and if you survived those you would not be expected to fly another tour but many did.

1 hour ago, radiomike7 said:

Agreed, the attrition rate in bomber command was something like 44% and I still marvel at how Gibson clocked up 173 ops, Cheshire over 100 and Tait 103.  A tour of duty was 30 ops and if you survived those you would not be expected to fly another tour but many did.

Not many aircraft survived 100 ops, but 35 did 100 or more. Only info I can find on this is a book. Wasn't the BBMF Lancaster given a Ton Up paint scheme on one side a few years back?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ton-Up+Lancs&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB751GB751&oq=Ton-Up+Lancs&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.1191j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Tall Boy 12000 lb length 21feet 6inches dia 3feet 2inches tail length approx 11 feet explosive content 5200lbs                  

Grand Slam 22000 lb length 26 feet 6 inches dia 3 feet 10 inches tail length 13 feet 6 inches explosive content 9160 lb

After being filled with explosive they took up to 4 weeks to cool before use. I remember years ago seeing pictures of parts of Tall Boys being manufactured by Vickers on Tyneside.

I believe one of the storage facilities was Wooky Hole. For the Dams Mines as well. Munitions workers are another band of unsung heroes,working and losing there lives behind the scenes. You only have to look at the Staffordshire explosion.

Edited by john1950
spelling and addition