Hagglunds Bv206 - Buying and Owning/Operating

SimonBrown

This is a long-term project, but the nagging idea of owning and operating a Bv206 under consideration.

Buying:

• What to look for?
  • Known issues or faults?
  • Track life/wear? When are they knackered?
  • Types and variants. FFR an issue?
  • Spares - prices and availability?

Operating:

• Petrol vs diesel? Anything really whacky about either?
  • Reliability? From what I recall, very good...but thats 20+ year info.
  • Maintenance - engine & drivetrain - any issues?
  • Maintenance - steering & suspension - any issues?
  • What license is needed? Not steered by tracks, so not an H type?

Genuinely interested...and would love to hear from current owners. With that, its over to the forum and its collective knowledge...

cracking little machines, with few issues. I had a few over the years. The ford V6 variant is the nicest to drive, light, responsive with a wide rev range, and cheap parts. Both diesels are obviously heavier, low down torque, but very limited rev range. Tracks are the problem-old tracks will crack, split, and shred, potentially locking the drive train on that corner. New tracks are very expensive, although there are chinese copies available

and yes, you can drive them on a car licence!

Simon,

I have a bit of experience with them. They are a terrific machine, we have a 6 cylinder diesel here at work. They are a superb machine but as Terry says tracks and drive sprocket condition are to be looked at closely. The road wheels can de-laminate. There are 40 road wheels, I have done seals and bearing parties a few times and a power pack out once. Like anything, they were designed for a job and will you be doing that job or something different. The petrol vs diesel debate is obvious. Talk to Tony about his experiences.

Many thanks Robin & terryb for the words of wisdom. All good gen and thoughts.

A few more questions:

• Registering and ex-MOD example for the road - any issues with Construction and Use? 
  • If I recall the rear body is held on with four bolts and can be quickly demounted - is this memory correct?

yes, 4 bolts and its off!

technically it will not be legal to road register as it only has a single line braking system which is shared with the parking brake, but VOSA may not be aware of that.....................

21 hours ago, terryb said:

yes, 4 bolts and its off!

technically it will not be legal to road register as it only has a single line braking system which is shared with the parking brake, but VOSA may not be aware of that.....................

Gotcha. Good to know and thank you.