CVRT Road Wheels Rubber Ring

SirLanceUK

Hi Everyone,

Had a great day at the military day at Booker airfield, however when driving home one of the "rubber" outers on the road wheel became separated from the wheel. I recovered the rubber and rather than buying a new one thought about gluing the rubber back on to the wheel... 

Has anyone done this before and knows it works, or worse knows it doesn't?

I am planning to use a road jack to lift the wheel free of the track place glue on both surfaces and then force the ring back on the wheel. The glue is one of the 2 part jobs available at all good hardware stores. Am I being silly?

Cheers all

Lance

road-wheel[1].jpg

Hi Lance, I think you have just answered your own question! The glue will not stand up to the riggers of the wheel action and the track.....but you can always spend the money on the glue and proves us all wrong, Cheers Andrew.

Edited by Andrew Rowe

Do you need a jacking strut? I have some left.

Never tried to glue the rubber back on. I think you’d be wasting your time, the road wheels take quite a load especially when cornering. 

If you are stuck for wheels I have some take offs I might sell.

Chris 

9 hours ago, Andrew Rowe said:

Hi Lance, I think you have just answered your own question! The glue will not stand up to the riggers of the wheel action and the track.....but you can always spend the money on the glue and proves us all wrong, Cheers Andrew.

Hi, I am talking about a replacement  (thanks Chris)so looks like I might be trying glue as an experiment. I wondered as there appears to be some “glue” on the rim and knowing how ‘inventive ‘ people can be. Of course this may have been stuck on in a previous life which is why it failed now

Cheers

Hi, I made my own mould to re-rubber CVRT wheels. There are companies out there that will re-rubber them without a mould. But bear in mind each pair of wheels on the same hub needs to be the same diameter.

I can get an upto date price for you if interested. Just send me a PM.

PA020236[1].JPG

PA060242[1].JPG

PA060245[1].JPG

PC100263[1].JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 6:22 PM, SirLanceUK said:

I said I would get back, the first iteration (Gorilla Glue) did not work so I have moved on to a polymer type glue, and will fit and try it soon.

"Barge All Purpose Cement" is popular among sandal and shoe repair operations, I wonder how that would work.

I'm happy to give it a go on one of my road wheels that has let go, but considering my lack of progress it could be another decade at least before I have an answer about it's utility.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fitted the wheel I had used the polymer glue on and did a few turns on an area of grass.......................

The outer rubber came off left lots of polymer on the outer rubber and the wheel itself indicating I had managed to get good adhesion across the whole of the rubber and the rim, but it was not strong enough to withstand the sheering forces...

Still I learnt something and had some fun playing... thumbnail_image1.thumb.jpg.1cba98b67e5d4a4c1367c0f776b0cb63.jpg