Several years ago I decided to buy a jeep for my wife, as a birthday present.

luckily for me my wife is very understanding and has put up with my vehicle madness for many years and shares my passion for ww2 vehicles. 

Anyway this came for sale via Robert Uren in Devon, a quick trip down and after a drive around a field the deal was done.

One 43 MB (May built) jeep. 

Nice story behind it as well, after it left the USA ownership it served as a generator jeep for the French airforce, this meant that a hole was cut in the floor just behind the gear stick for the chain drive, lots of oil was used to keep the chain turning and as a result the chassis is covered in oil so almost no rust underneath.

At some point in its life it has had a new engine installed, sadly this was a Peugeot diesel lump but at least the gearbox stayed in. 

E192A0D0-DA68-4586-89D7-74357769B3DD.jpeg

50C1D1B9-B40B-4478-940D-49893C61B482.jpeg

The old girl has a few issues, the engine conversion means the bulkhead has been cut and extended into the cab area, the generator install has lead to the rear panel being cut out in the centre, the jeep did come with its French airforce doors and hard roof. 

So not that I have done a lot to the jeep in the past few years but I have pulled the old engine, found an original engine and had it fully rebuilt ready to install 

Pto  generator was yoused on US Marine core jeep fitted with the Collins  TCS series of radios, 

post-61-1272772181.jpg

1 hour ago, mogmaner said:

Pto  generator was yoused on US Marine core jeep fitted with the Collins  TCS series of radios, 

post-61-1272772181.jpg

Wow now that’s a nice setup, not sure that our 43 had the same setup. 

So I pulled the axles and stripped them down, degreased them and media blasted everything before priming.

Not sure as yet to what colour or shade the jeep will be so just grey primer has been used.

the newly acquired mb engine is stripped down, checked over and sent away to a friend who knows these engines better then me. 

74E8534E-A2B7-48FE-BD9B-D79D5A98A8FD.jpeg

FF38A861-75D9-4CF7-A9D0-EE1A50CC9492.jpeg

01924417-D99C-4B66-A6B8-8C386E8F7680.jpeg

BDB308C7-02B4-4C80-BDD6-F88C96569664.jpeg

C243A1B6-45FD-470A-94D3-E02F1AB8E0BD.jpeg

If you can, take a red primer as this was the originally used and it will look better in a few years down the road, when patina begins to show and some of the top layer of paint will wear through.

All of the running gear has been put in grey epoxy as I used that daily, but the body will be red when I get round to starting on it.