Daimler CB22

PITT24423

9 minutes ago, Citroman said:

Superb work. Does it get advertising on the body?

Thank you and yes in short , under negotiation at the moment with various interested parties who were all genuine advertisers in the time period late teens early twenties and still trading today.Hopefully it will all come together with their blessing and a good wind .

Need more guesses as to "what`s in the box " before I reveal .😁

That second photo reminds me of those Autostereogram images that were popular in the 1990s; one would stare at it and different images would materialise.  In this case I stare at it, and more treasure materialises.  Including a steering box I had not spotted the first time around.   As an aside, that was one heavy case for such small bearers on the bottom.

What a lovely box of treasure  to have in one's yard.

4 hours ago, Minesweeper said:

What was the one guess that was "soo close" - I missed that?

I cannot identify it but one person cleverer than I has suggested "Leyland"?

Tony

Leyland  good, carry on 😁 one guess 3 possible answers …… feeling lucky 

Sorry but this is too cryptic for me.I also don't see the "one guess - soo close" either. Presumably there are three possible HP ratings for that generation of Leyland engine and we can tell which one this is from the two photos ? How ?

As mentioned above I am amazed that the box was strong enough for the weight of the back axle / gearbox etc load. A really good haul though and superb work on the bus.

David

Not 100% what year this engine is so all comments gratefully received my thoughts are 2 ton lorry as the chassis remains had the typical Leyland  holey front cross member. At this stage not sure we are going to use this in the bus as it is a touch too long 

9500EE4D-EED0-4188-BBBF-077FFEA16DD9.jpeg

3DD07508-B164-4B51-B597-0748DD4EDAAB.jpeg

4B329331-320B-4B9D-A539-778D3ECF9A06.jpeg

16 hours ago, Great War truck said:

Should the engine number correspond with the chassis number?

No, not on Leyland's, there appears to be no relationship.  Each "unit" had its own number.  Happy to be corrected but this is my understanding.

[edit: Table Deleted as possibly incorrect]

Edited by Scrunt & Farthing

Duncan,

This may help you, I copy a scan from Leyland Torque.  All copyright Mike Sutcliffe (photo) and the Leyland Society (Magazine), but the engine number is about 300 away from yours.  The engine type was also used in Fire engines of the period so it could have been a lorry or Fire engine.

LPIC.jpg.06366d8c5a9df1f5e1d5e56134f4af0f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That chart is off the mark as dates and engines are incorrect. The best information on 'RAF types' (basically 1914 through to 1930) is found in the study by Mike Sutcliffe in issue 1 of The Leyland Journal, followed by specification sales sheets from various dates published in issue 3 of Leyland Torque. The parts list put up by Scrunt & Farthing which covers later 4 - 6 ton models is most instructive as it shows variations and developments that I didn't know about.

In the case of the engine above it has a short crankcase easily identified by the RH crankcase covers being close together, whereas with the bigger engines there is space between the covers for the brass plate. Interestingly it has the flexible couplings  which by virtue of Scrunts parts book I now know to be factory fitting to later models. Could be either from a 2 or 3 tonner

Thanks for the info spot on, so working off the Haydon lorry possibly 1925 - 26 as long as it’s the original engine. My thoughts are starting to steer towards using it in the Palladium as dimension wise fits quite nicely, my only concern is if it has enough torque to power it and dies on the slightest hill as the bore is pretty much the same at 41/2 “ but the stroke on the Leyland is 5” 126mm compared with the Continental engines 140mm rated at 40hp equally the Palladium will never get fully laden and how comparable are the difference in how ratings between the manufacturer’s?

Open to input,and thanks again for digging out the info as I have nothing on Leyland and it’s all very much appreciated.

Duncan

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Minesweeper said:

Duncan - I wonder if you are able to share with us any information on how you managed to find the Leyland engine and where it came from - and any known history of it? That sort of thing always of passing interest!

Tony

Engine gearbox and part of the chassis survived as it had been modified for powering a saw bench on a farm.The gearbox was needed by another guy restoring a Leyland and didn’t need the engine plus it was with a pile of Daimler parts which initially were offered to me to help my bus project along which I’m grateful for. It was always the intention to fit an engine temporarily in the bus before starting on the Daimler Knight engine due to the amount of work it requires and also the need for  a period engine for the Palladium to which ends we have seemed to of now got all options covered.

• Like 1

The hp quoted for each engine is a factor of bore and stroke and not how much power they put out. That figure is BHP.  Reading about the War Department subsidy trials in Commercial Motor what comes out is that most of the lorries were up and down in their performance. Some days one model or other would be a dud and after some night time tuning would be matching the others the following day. The other thing that came to light was gear ratios for hill climbing - so on some hills one make was the leader but on a steeper or less steep hill another make would be in the lead.

• Thanks 1

Duncan,

Thinking about your engine size deliberations I am minded to copy this chart onto the forum which list the engine v capacities from 1927 onward (i.e. about the age of your engine).  It shows both lorry and passenger vehicles.  PM me if you want a better resolution copy or the .pdf.

Dave

577722644_SQ2DimensionsChart.thumb.jpg.9a447edf91ad130a0e25401842c2038f.jpg

• Thanks 1