J60 Spartan - Gearbox dipstick

SirLanceUK

Hi again.

I was very lucky to have someone who used to instruct and drive Spartan's and he was very useful in pointing out lots I didn't and couldn't know (bits missing etc). One such thing was the dipstick for the gearbox that comes through the bulkhead into the drivers position. Again I didn't know it was missing. I have looked through the normal websites and part manuals but cant find any so the search is on either for a dipstick or for the dimensions of a real dipstick so I can make one (including the position of the max and min lines).

Anyone out there that can help?

Cheers Lance

The original dipstick goes from the gearbox, turns through nearly 90 degrees and goes through the bulkhead. You have to be nearly double jointed to get at it. Also the short tube sticking out of the gearbox mates up with the bent tube with a bit of rubber tubing jubilee clipped on to each one. It’s rubbish, and when trying to put the dipstick back in, the end inevitably gets stuck at this point. I read somewhere that you should put a bit of a bend on the tip of the stick to help alleviate this. It does a bit, but it’s still rubbish.

I also read that the dipstick emerges in the drivers compartment because early cvrt’s had the gearbox cover bolted down?

I modded my dipstick by cutting it off short so that it stayed in the gearbox compartment. That way it’s straight, short & easy (ish) to get at

Can’t help with piccys I’m afraid, as I e sold my Samson 

but I remember that I detached the handle from the end of the dipstick, then cut off the top of the stick to leave the existing markings on the bottom & then reattached the handle.

the dipstick is made of something like 1/4” wide x 1/16” spring steel.

I'm sure someone on the forum can give you correct dimensions.

it makes checking the oil in the gearbox a lot easier

• 2 weeks later...

X- mod surplus had the short pipe from the gearbox to bulkhead at one stage. I made my stick from two engine ones and cutting and joining, works fine, can get the measurements if you need them. You can always check your stick is at the right level  by putting in the exact quantity of oil for the gearbox from the manual, as a double check, to the marks on the end of the stick ,cheers Andrew.

8 hours ago, Andrew Rowe said:

X- mod surplus had the short pipe from the gearbox to bulkhead at one stage. I made my stick from two engine ones and cutting and joining, works fine, can get the measurements if you need them. You can always check your stick is at the right level  by putting in the exact quantity of oil for the gearbox from the manual, as a double check, to the marks on the end of the stick ,cheers Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I would appreciate the measurements and if its anything but straight a picture to.

I did think about checking the level after putting in the correct amount but the it’s only just been filled up so was saving that till I do an oil change.

If you have just put the correct amount of oil into the gearbox, then use a piece of stiff wire, or flat spring steel strip to find the oil level down the existing bit of dip stick pipe that protrudes out of the gearbox. Add about an inch onto the length & make up a dip stick to suit

• 3 months later...

HI All.

Well I cut the pipe off in the gearbox bay. I drained the oil down and found that it was black and lumpy and also 4 litres short off the required amount.

So I cleaned and refilled the gearbox with the correct amount and made a dipstick and was able to put the markings on... Should be in the correct place now :)