Cheshire Steve

RAF dakota 2 weeks ago - markings

They say there are no dumb questions, but I may get a prize here. At the Smallwood Vintage Rally 2 weeks ago we have a fly-by by an RAF marked Dakota. It was fabulous and the sound took me back 30 years - but the photo I took leads to my potentially dumb question - where is the registration number that would surely have been written large on the fuselage - I can't even see it written anywhere? Whick Dakota is it? How can I tell?

Dakota.jpg

It's in your pic, last stripe on the fuselage, ZA947, one of the BBMF Daks

27083758417_3a3e58a91e_b.jpg

Wow didn't even see the reg it is so small. So where did I get this crazy idea that WW2 planes had to have bigger reg letters you could easily see?. Maybe the huge letters on the side are part of a group ID. I will try and find an example ...OK have found a photo - can see the large letter is on its own, the reg is smaller but still written large. I think it was the germans who had their ID written large - maybe that is where my confusion comes from.Page16g.thumb.jpg.35dadd225301a72b70ccd48e44032cb1.jpg

Oops, yes, looks like it was the Germans - though the City Of Lincoln Lancaster has a load of letters that I might have though was RAF id. Page21b.thumb.jpg.b35f01167631f229e5d32c878ce80d95.jpg

The large letters are squadron codes and individual letter. The serial number is the smaller alpha numeric set and is particular to each airframe. 

Thanks, just me being dumb. When I looked at the photo I took of the dakota I knew something was missing - but its the lack of squadron codes.

Most of the BBMF have the large letters of squadron codes, presumably from their original service, but not this one - which makes it look odd.

Fabulous aircraft though.

BBMF change squadron codes regularly. Transport command rarely showed squadron codes.