whats going on for D Day 75th anniverssary in Normandy with MVT ?

Hello

Has the MVT organised any runs , camping trips to this years D Day events in Normandy ?

I dont have a period WW2 vehicle but being a MVT member and modernish military vehicle owner i would still like to visit the D Day beaches with my family and all our kit ?

everywhere i have looked in France to stay seems to be either civi type holiday parks or hotels , with crazy holiday season prices , we are quite happy with just a field for a week but want to be somewhere near the beaches etc.

Anyone know if theres a option for club members or place to pitch military canvas for a sensibly priced stay ?

cheers all

Rich

I was hoping to miss the main events and go in July , but even then all of July is crazy exspensive and busy.

im more interested in visiting the actually sites , mueseums and beaches anyway so will probably go in late september now .

Edited by majorweld

When I went I stayed on the Caravan/ Camping site at St Aubin-su-mare. just a short walk to a landing beach. With a great home bakery in the town. Good access to surrounding places of interest. Stayed for over a week did not go into any of the meuseum buildings there is so much to see. I would love to go again. Locals were great, take good shoes/boots for walking.  

We were over there for the last five days, just the two of us but was not too pricy, we only booked a few weeks ago, first time over in the jeep so no idea what to expect.

£138 return ferry (Jeep + 2 passengers, Portsmouth - Caen)

£110 camping (5 days @ Chateau near Bayeux)

No need to be in an organised group, we met tons of vehicle owners on our campsite and were in several convoys out and about and visited about 15 museums & beaches.

Used about 30 gallons of fuel, covered 400 miles, met lots of great people, the atmosphere is amazing.

One highlight was taking a USAF Brigadier General for a ride down the Coleville draw to Omaha and him insisting we drank Calvados on the beach with him.

Worst experience, Ohama cafe charging 5.5 EUR for a can of coke, decided we were not that thirsty.

47985508213_2d1349becd_b.jpg

47985517833_20559fce75_b.jpg

47985562443_1300b60766_b.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, majorweld said:

I was hoping to miss the main events and go in July , but even then all of July is crazy exspensive and busy.

im more interested in visiting the actually sites , mueseums and beaches anyway so will probably go in late september now .

I'm heading there tomorrow arrive Wednesday in Zebrugge,  Just booked a campsite north Bayeux, 1 x pitch, just me and a van with a AJS 350 in the back +pushbike (not enough time to get one of my WD bikes ready) 

Site was £33.............  for 3 nights then off to the Somme. 

Edited by bigduke6

The Ferry was a freebie ........ I work for them and we get 3x free trips a year but only one from Hull....... its only a small van (Berlingo)

Made a mistake on the price it was south east of Bayeux £70 for 3 nights, (the £33 was one near the Somme) I looked in a camping guide then googled the areas then looked for other sites etc, there are many campsites close to popular ones but not all are on the internet, as they are part of Chateau,s etc.

If you pick an area then zoom in on the map and look for site's, 

Took me a few hours, but narrowed it down to a few, only problem is they will take a deposit but it doesn't guarantee a pitch until confirmed......... had one knock back. 

Give these a try,    Chateau de Martragny camping.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like 1