Hi Peeps,

Been a while as I disappeared down a rabbit hole of french wheeled armour (Panhard AML60 an AML90).  Glad to say I re-emerged, but bitten badly by the 'exoticisms' of our Gallic cousins across the channel.

I purchased a few AMX's in varying conditions abroad and had them all shipped over six months ago after at least 3 years negotiation - getting armour out of France is a lengthy business...  I'm glad to say after an intensive period I have nearly completed the first full resto of an AMX13 from 1958, that had been modified as a 'demonstrator' for possibly the Argentinians, mounting a Deutz air cooled,  V8 turbo diesel in that small space at the front of the tank.

Here's a brief photo montage of the resto of mine that is reaching an end. If people are interested I will post more pictures and detail, but please note some these photos are to be used in a book soon, so if reused please at least credit me (ta!) 

I have saved the petrol restos (probably another two squeezed out the 5 other wrecks I have) for another day - but I guess they wont perform like this pocket rocket.. with its 350 HP, twin turbo'd lump. In  a tank of only 14 tons - that's relatively useful HP per tonne. I have driven it a couple of weeks ago, and was happy to stay in 2nd!

This demonstrator tank wasn't taken up by the Argentinians (although they fitted a similar Deutz to their AMX fleet back in S America) so it went into 'outside storage' for about 20 years - open to the elements.  The interior was in a much worse state than the exterior, believe me!

This first posts are of delivery and disassembly, with a couple of internal and external hull restoration.

The next post will be reassembly...

(If you cant wait, check out the resto blog on facebook under 'French Army Reenactment Group')

FB_IMG_1541880337009.jpg

DSC_1502.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

DSC_1630.JPG

DSC_1595.JPG

DSC_1562.JPG

DSC_1549.JPG

DSC_1514.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

57387449_10218356816492512_6447724562544066560_n.jpg

DSC_0022.JPG

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Packhow75 said:

Nice... think I have an unwanted shell case for one of these.

Hi,

I'd be interested in that shell - I had bought a 75mm but it turns out to be a sherman firefly round.  Its only the brass shell with a slightly crumpled rim (where the projectile goes)  the french shell is about the same length but thinner and tapering along the entire case. 

1440148888-ck72isd.jpg

3 hours ago, stanleywindrush said:

Hi,

I'd be interested in that shell - I had bought a 75mm but it turns out to be a sherman firefly round.  Its only the brass shell with a slightly crumpled rim (where the projectile goes)  the french shell is about the same length but thinner and tapering along the entire case. 

1440148888-ck72isd.jpg

Funny that... a friend of mine bought this for me thinking it was a Firefly case... and it's not. I would be interested in the firefly case.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, stanleywindrush said:

Hi,

1440148888-ck72isd.jpg

Stanley, I have some unfired projo's for these, all A/T. tracer has been removed, let me know if interested.

Was the AMX with Diesel engine modified by Sabiex from Belgium? I was once many years ago in their factory, where they were refurbishing them for the Mexican? army, a sight to see!!

Cheers,

Lex

20170517_160138.jpg

20170517_160155.jpg

Yes very likely. I have x3 amx13 and two amx vtt still left to restore . Of this, I only want to complete one vtt so there will be enough to make up a couple of full amx13 from the parts left easily.. If you are interested to talk further then mail me. I have a nice early hull that comes from the dominican republic I would say was the best starting point.. 

Just finishing off the interior, ready for show season this year.

In all just over 2000 hours of labour and a fair whack of money - but worth it, as we are all (those that worked on it) very pleased with the outcome.  This is especially true when we consider it was our first tank restoration... and working in its tiny confines was described by one chap as like; 'doing mechanics whilst potholing'. Next will be the VTT, but only once we have enjoyed driving/ showing this one.

IMG_1837.JPG

20190614_161748.jpg

20190611_223008.jpg

20190617_193615.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...