3HW Front Brake cable

T8Hants

Although my original front brake cable is sound, I am not sure I want to trust a 75 year old cable for my main stopper.

I have the 22" inner with 18" outer, plus adjuster, the rest being the 3/16" rod down to the hub.

Is there anyone who makes that type of brake cables with the adjuster built in?

Or do I go for the short outer long inner version that does away with the rod section, which do seem to be available?

Once again thank you in advance..............Gareth

Thank you Ron, one is now on order from JJ Cables, details confirmed over the phone for lengths etc,  £18.00 all in, sorted.

Thanks.........Gareth

Edited by T8Hants
pressed send before I said Thank you.

• 3 years later...
On 5/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, T8Hants said:

Although my original front brake cable is sound, I am not sure I want to trust a 75 year old cable for my main stopper.

I have the 22" inner with 18" outer, plus adjuster, the rest being the 3/16" rod down to the hub.

Is there anyone who makes that type of brake cables with the adjuster built in?

Or do I go for the short outer long inner version that does away with the rod section, which do seem to be available?

Once again thank you in advance..............Gareth

Gareth,

Have just read that you have/had an original front brake cable. Can you please let me know the thickness of the outer cable (most probably 6,2mm), its length, the thickness of the inner cable (most probably 2,5mm) and its length. 

You quote 22" for the inner and 18" for the outer. Are these dimensions precise?

Regards,

Kostas

Edited by Ferrarakias

Kostas, looking throught the 1939 civy lists, all models had a 20" X .087" ( 2.13mm) wire and a 16" outer cable.

I think the same part numbers apply for the 3HW with 1" bars ie D76W and D76C

When the longer M20 7/8" bar was used, the list calls for an 18 1/2" outer so I guess the wire would be 22 1/2". 

I might have to study more lists on this though.  Ron

On 1/4/2023 at 3:01 PM, Ron said:

Kostas, looking throught the 1939 civy lists, all models had a 20" X .087" ( 2.13mm) wire and a 16" outer cable.

I think the same part numbers apply for the 3HW with 1" bars ie D76W and D76C

When the longer M20 7/8" bar was used, the list calls for an 18 1/2" outer so I guess the wire would be 22 1/2". 

I might have to study more lists on this though.  Ron

Ron,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I do have an original 1939 models replacement parts books. It does refer 20" x 0.84" (not 0.87") wire and 16" outer casing as you said.

Problem is that not all of my other original wire casings fit the dimensions given on the book:
1. Exhaust valve lifter cable is 24 1/2" instead of 21" listed (3H model)
2. Throttle cable is 37" instead of 39" listed (3H model)
3. Ignition control cable is 40 1/2", as stated
4. Clutch cable is 52 1/2" instead of 54 1/2" listed (3H model)

So, don't really know what I should do, I guess 16" will fit my 1" handlebars.

Regards,

Kostas

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Having almost finished making the parts from the front brake cable assembly that I am missing, a query came up!

A friend lent me his Triumph 3hw front brake cable and the brake end nipple is a 5/16” ball.

The plunger also has a 5/16” hole for the above end nipple.

The brake cable stop eye bolt though, has a 5/16” hole on the lower end and a 1/4” recess on the upper (to stop the cable adjuster) when fitted.

How is it possible for the 5/16” ball nipple to come through the 1/4” hole at the upper end of the eye bolt?

Please see attached picture!

Kostas

IMG_1227.jpg

Most of the eye bolts that I've seen are drilled through at 5/16". It's my opinion that if the flats in the eye bolt are to be retained, then either the eye bolt must be positioned on the adjuster before the nipple is soldered on, or the ball nipple will need two coresponding flats filed on it. 

I'll be interested in anyone elses views.  Ron