Norton 16H Clutch Drag & Judder

Ian L

Hi Guys with Normandy 2019 fast approaching I desperately need advise or help !!!! with my 1944 Norton 16H which has developed a clutch fault.

Friends & 'experts' have had a look & offered advise with regards to why the clutch has started dragging which makes finding neutral almost impossible & juddering & lurching when you release the clutch from standing (especially when hot & in traffic)

All the obvious things have been looked at, the plates are new (4 now rather than 5) everything is straight & oil free, there's loads of movement when the lever is pulled in.

The only thing we cant be sure about is the clutch basket & roller bearings ?? it runs lovely & straight but how much movement / wobble should there be when the clutch lever is pulled in ? I need an 'expert to take a look, I'm very willing to put it on a trailer and bring it to them but times running out.      

Edited by Ian L

5 hours ago, Ron said:

I would want to pull the whole clutch off and start from basics. What is your location for moving the bike?  Ron

Hi Ron.

Abingdon, Oxford. like I said I'm happy to put it on the trailer.

Regards Ian. P.S. we did have a brief exchange of emails

Ian, never had this issue with my 16H.......I also run the clutch dry with modern bonded friction linings and 4 instead of 5..........

As mentioned, I would suspect the clutch bearing or possibly the basket......another possibility would be if it was slack on the shaft.......

I'm on the north edge of Newbury so not a million miles away from Abingdon and willing to drop over and have a look......I have a lot of NOS 16H stuff plus decent used spares so substitution of parts may be an idea......? I'm also around most of the week as retired..........

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wdbikemad said:

Ian, never had this issue with my 16H.......I also run the clutch dry with modern bonded friction linings and 4 instead of 5..........

As mentioned, I would suspect the clutch bearing or possibly the basket......another possibility would be if it was slack on the shaft.......

I'm on the north edge of Newbury so not a million miles away from Abingdon and willing to drop over and have a look......I have a lot of NOS 16H stuff plus decent used spares so substitution of parts may be an idea......? I'm also around most of the week as retired..........

That's an offer I cant refuse & I don't even know who you are ?

Like I said I've replaced 5 plates with 4 modern bonded type, I've also run it dry & no its not slack on the shaft (enough puns)

And like I said in my original message we suspect the clutch basket & bearing despite there being little to no play but I have no idea where to get a new set from (except India which I won't do)

I will PM you my details. Regards Ian

Ian, if not loose on the shaft then it is possibly the bearing or clutch basket as you mentioned.........I'm sure I have a good used bearing here, plus a NOS clutch basket still in the wartime packing..........I'll have a rummage tomorrow in the workshop.......

It's Steve Madden by the way.........

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wdbikemad said:

Ian, if not loose on the shaft then it is possibly the bearing or clutch basket as you mentioned.........I'm sure I have a good used bearing here, plus a NOS clutch basket still in the wartime packing..........I'll have a rummage tomorrow in the workshop.......

It's Steve Madden by the way.........

Cheers Steve, I've just replied to your PM

Wish you luck Ian, few generous offers there.

I'm hoping to get to Normandy myself but unfortunately it wont be on a WD bike, although The Kawasaki ZZR will be in Nato green if it gets finished on time, or its a Black AJS Model 8 if I can get it to stop.....

• Like 1