SirLanceUK

25 Field Squadron, Royal Engineers. Any information?

Posted (edited)

Hi All, I have an CVRT Spartan that was used by the 25 Field Squadron, Royal Engineers. I have looked on line and found a little information about the squadron, but not alot. I have found the "sappers" website but it really does not have anything "useful".

I have also descovered their emblem  (below) but I have not had any luck finding out what it means, of even managed to find an electronic version of it (this was taken from a polo shirt :) ) can anyone please help me out ?

Lance

thumbnail_image1.jpg

Edited by SirLanceUK
I should learn to spell

25 sqn was part of 26 Engineer regt Based in Iserlohn BAOR. Also 5 Sqn & HQ sqn & the REME LAD made up the Regt.

In about 1978 I think it was? 2 Armd Engineer Regt was disbanded & joined the Regt in Iserlohn. They were then 2 Armd Engr Squadron. Because they Brought all thier many Armoured Vehicles with them as well. The Barracks became quite 'crowded'!....The Regt was then Retitled 26 Armoured Engineer Regiment.

I was attached to 26 to expirience all of the above at that time.

3 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

25 sqn was part of 26 Engineer regt Based in Iserlohn BAOR. Also 5 Sqn & HQ sqn & the REME LAD made up the Regt.

In about 1978 I think it was? 2 Armd Engineer Regt was disbanded & joined the Regt in Iserlohn. They were then 2 Armd Engr Squadron. Because they Brought all thier many Armoured Vehicles with them as well. The Barracks became quite 'crowded'!....The Regt was then Retitled 26 Armoured Engineer Regiment.

I was attached to 26 to expirience all of the above at that time.

You forgot 2 Sqn, they were there too. I've been trying to look them up too, as an ex RE I have been phoning friends who were there too. 25 went to 23 Engr Regt at Osnabruck in the eighties and then became Armoured Engineers at some point with 32 Regt. Finally disbanded mid nineties with options for change

Where did the "boxer" come from and does anyone one what the "Chinese"? characters mean?

I did some research and seem to think it means "Fist" but the symbols were not quite the same

Hi, I thought the same thing and looked around but the character does not translate at all in anything but Japanese,

but then it is not close. I was more wondering if anyone "knew"  

RE Museum would probably be able to shed some light on it. Boxer Rebellion was China, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, Zero-Five-Two said:

You forgot 2 Sqn, they were there too. I've been trying to look them up too, as an ex RE I have been phoning friends who were there too. 25 went to 23 Engr Regt at Osnabruck in the eighties and then became Armoured Engineers at some point with 32 Regt. Finally disbanded mid nineties with options for change

Er, Read my post again Buddy......2 ARMOURED ENGINEER SQUADRON. I was THERE!....😎

4 hours ago, SirLanceUK said:

Hi, I thought the same thing and looked around but the character does not translate at all in anything but Japanese,

but then it is not close. I was more wondering if anyone "knew"

I'm no expert, but it looks as though it is a version of the classical Chinese character for "Fist" (Quan), what Europeans call 'Boxers' being known to Chinese by a name which translates as 'Righteous Harmonious Fists'. Modern printed Chinese (Pinyin) uses a different character set.

What can I say Noel7 thank you, another piece to the puzzle that is my question. I am being asked to attend charity functions and I expect people to ask questions and really want some background :) the bullet holes make an interesting talking point to :)