Software for land rover Discovery 2 and Range Rover P38

Tony B

A Nanocom Evolution is the best and cheapest  option for your situation. They will have the same capabilities or sometimes better than the original Landrover Testbook T4 that dealers have.(And should still be able to use)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nanocom-Evolution-Land-Rover-Discovery-2-TD5-Diagnostics-NCOM02/231561378000?hash=item35ea2238d0:g:RMYAAOxy77hSF2R2&frcectupt=true

If you don't want to buy a unit I think some of the forums have lists of members prepared to help out.

What problems are you having ?

The number 4 injector just has a needle lift sensor,it is not coded. All it does is to give closed loop feedback to the engine ECU to tell it the actual start of injection.The ecu can then use the crankshaft position sensor to modify pump timing according to the fuel map.

It is almost 100% certain that your car needs a security re-learn.The BECM,(Body computer) sends a coded signal to the engine ecu,which must be the same as the one the engine ecu has learnt. This code can get scrambled,often when opening the car via the keyfob if other strong RF signals are present.Used to be a favourite in petrol stations where mobile phone transmitters were hidden in the petrol price signs outside the station.

The security relearn can only be done by LR specific diagnostic tools such as Testbook or Nanocom etc.

TD5 can have a crazy problem where engine oil percolates along the injector cables and fills the engine ecu with oil.  Seen two like that but as they were sales cars we simply opened up the loom and put a blob of solder on each wire and cleaned out the ecu.

Being greedy I have a P38, a V8 Discovery 2 with a proper gas conversion, and the immobiliser locked 😧. Also a Land Rover Discovery 2 , Special Vehicle, in the throws of rebuilding using parts from my other Td5 which has terminal chassis rot.

Jon the P38 engine turns over but won't fire, the V8 just sits there looking smug! and the alarm beeping!

Thanks for the heads up on the Nancom. with the collection I seem to aquiring, might well be worth getting one.

Edited by Tony B

https://blackbox-solutions.com/

https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/

I have the nanocom for the p38 and the 2 v8 engine modules.

It can unlock the keycode lock out, reset the security lock and work with every parameter on the Vehicle.

By purchasing other OBD11 leads and modules it will work with pretty much all the other LR vehicles  even the new ones.

It is not locked to one vehicle VIN.

Im not connected to BBS but it is a good bit of kit. 

You would have to buy leads and modules for each vehicle so it would get pricey but it would fix them.

OK, in the first instance the DII does not need diagnostics, its BCU is in a locked state.If it wont respond to a keyfob then the only chance you have with it is to either get it to respond to the fob or use the EKA code which you can input with they key in the drivers door. The RF receivers are a common failure point on them as well as water ingress into the wiring on the LH a pillar.(They are plug and play) Look at the wires in the multiplugs there,often full of water,green gunge or both.(RF receiver is often dead due to water/condensation) Leaking sunroof's also cause ingress in the BCU itself and the passenger compartment fusebox.

Inputting the EKA code is explained in the handbook,if you don't have the code you can get it from  a LR main dealer with proof of ownership etc. 

Most garages have fob testers if you don't know if its working.(We all have the testers cos they are cheap...)

Once you have mobilised the BCU, then you can start looking properly at the rest of the car via diagnostics.One of the nice things about the little Nanocoms is that you can code secondhand key fobs to the car.(Reason I bought mine,and have done loads) something which Testbook would not do to my frustration...

Your P38 like I said needs a resynch on Testbook or Nanocom,this was a common thing back in the day,which improved alot when the latest type of RF receiver came along - part # YWY500170.

The problem is that none of the diagnostic machines can communicate with the BCU when its in a locked state,so no help to you. Are you sure the EKA code you have is correct ? Also you have to follow the procedure EXACTLY as it says in the handbook or it simply won't work.Do you get any of the responses from the car when you input the code as it says in the handbook.

If you do,and you are 110% sure you are doing the code input correctly then the only choice you have is to get the RF system working. Checking the wiring,live feed,earth and signal wire.Swapping the RF unit for a known good one is often a good start.(I keep a new one in stock because its such a common job to me)

I have had to swap over a secondhand BCU from another car when it had water in it and fried everything. This was easy as it was unlocked and had a working fob coded to it.This is where the Nanocom really shines, I used a BCU from a v8,auto,A/C,ACE and SLS. Fitted it to a TD5,manual, no ACE,A/C and on coil springs. You can even switch off mileage mismatch to stop the instrument pack from flashing the mileage mismatch between it and the BCU. But it all relies on the BCU being unlocked. 

It's had a new reciver in vehicle for the key fob, the fob is known to work. The door locks have wear a known , %^&**** when it comes to the EKA , which was done by the book , with a stopwatch. It was working , then just stopped! Going to be something stupid. I've also fitted and checked new fuse box and the BCM module. Sounds like investing in a Nanocom is going to be the way forward. There are a lot of Discos and Freelanders coming onto the radar at the moment. God! Give me back 1,2, 2a and 3's!

Edited by Tony B

Fitting a new fusebox may be part of your problem,it needs 5 mins with the BCU in an unlocked state to pal up with it.The IDM in the fusebox,(So called intelligent driver module) shares many of the duties for locking etc with the BCU.  Other possibilities are the wiring to the drivers door latch,or the switches in the latch itself.Its not clear from your post,(To me anyway) if you just checked the BCU for water ingress or swapped it.

Either way you still need to get the BCU to an unlocked state before you can talk to it with any diagnostic gear,do RF tests,alter locking settings etc.

with the P38 Try this it has worked on my 95 p38 a couple of times.

disconnect the battery. put the key in the ignition try it just pushed in reconnect the battery.

The car should pair with the ignition key. no lockout message and should start.

when you put the eka code in looking at the instrument cluster does the sidelight warning light flash to the pulses you put in through the door key turns? If not the micro switch may not be working on the drivers door lock. 

try this key code method.

Make sure the doors, windows and bonnet/hood are closed, get out and lock the car again with the key. (Note: on 1996 and later models, you have to turn the key to the lock position four times for this step if the remote handset was not used to lock the vehicle).  Then turn the key the required number of times according to the following sequence.  (At each step the side lamps warning light on the dash will light to show it has recognized the input). 

1. To enter the first digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position. 
  2. To enter the second digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position. 
  3. To enter the third digit, turn the key the required number of times to the unlock position. 
  4. To enter the fourth digit, turn the key the required number of times to the lock position. 

Turn the key to the unlock position to unlock the doors.  The alarm will now be partially disarmed; if you try to open the hood the alarm will sound.  After five incorrect attempts (3 for 1996 and later models) at this procedure, the BeCM goes into a 10 minute lockout mode (30 minutes for 1996 and later models), during which time the message center displays "KEY CODE LOCKOUT" and further attempts at EKA will not work until the key code lockout message disappears.

Edited by lowfat

Tony, I think there is confusion here.Low Fat is talking about P38 EKA entry,if yours is cranking then its past the EKA stage and the BECM and engine ecu are needing to share the same security code - Nothing to do with the EKA.