New to the forum.

Jon Cull

Good evening,just joined the forum and been having a good read through.Finding it very interesting.My son and I both have several bikes,but my reason for joining this forum is that both of us have Matchless G3l's from 1942. We are currently sorting them out in readiness to ride them to Normandy in June. Both bikes are nearly there now,we have just done approx 120 miles on them today including a visit to the Haynes motor museum at Sparkford.

Very much looking forward to our trip to France,there should be 7 in our group,with 6 on bikes, 3 G3l's, 2 16H Nortons and an M20 BSA. All booked on the ferry and campsite,but a small matter of the BSA just being a rolling chassis at the moment,so plenty to do there... The picture shows our bikes,my sons in front.

G3l's.jpg

Hi Jon

We'll probably bump into you in Normandy......Not literally I hope! Me and other members of the 'Indian Riders Club' rode to the Haynes museum a few years back. Good collection and I'm planning to go back by car soon with other mates..... So does this mean you're in Devon-Somerset-Dorset?

You'll have to crack on with that M20 as there's only about 6 weeks to go and it should have some shake down mileage on it beforehand.  Regards Ron

Hi Ron, no - We are in South Glos, just ! North of Bath,our ride yesterday would be about the same as we will do going to Portsmouth and then on to the campsite from Caen. We are apparently booked into the campsite where most of the other DR's go at Etreham. It was an easy ride at a steady 40mph on back roads,the bikes seem happy at that speed.Both G3l's are running 20t engine sprockets which helps to keep the revs down,and are more than capable of pulling even higher gearing.I think I had a 22 or 23t on my G3 rigid years ago. My mate Steve is on the case with the M20,he will be riding it to work for its shakedown miles. I don't see too many problems with it as he is doing a VERY careful job of building it.Although as we know there will always be something that will shake loose or need adjusting...

OK Jon I'm in Poole so it's the Poole - Cherbourg ferry for us and Reine Mathilde at Etreham is the camp site I've used for about 25 years. The owners know me by now!! I've ordered souvenir baseball caps to be distributed at the campsite let me know if you want any. £8 each cash and carry.   Ron 

DSCF1531.jpg

Hi Ron, yes please I'd like a cap and I'll ask the others too. I see you also have a Willy's Jeep, last night we towed home a customer's Willy's for me to sort out.It will make a change for me,I run a Land Rover garage mixing in the odd classic here and there,but never a WW2 Jeep before.It has mostly electrical problems and a gunged up carb. I plan to start on it tomorrow so I may be after a few suggestions for the best source of parts...

Jon, every single part for a Willys Jeep is available by 10am the next day by either of the two firms mentioned by Tony, and I've found 'Jeffery Engineering' to be more than helpful with parts and technical advise http://www.jeffreyeng.com/

If it still has it's original type 'Carter' carb? They are a bit more complicated than your average Ford Pop of the time, being designed to run under extreme conditions and severe angles. Rebuild kits are available and I for one could scan pages from the manual, although there is a more dedicated section for advice on this site under 'American Vehicles'.

Good luck, Ron 

Hi Jon,

I’m down at Lyneham, so not far from you if you ever need any help with anything. As an aside, I’m helping to organize a wartime event at the REME museum on the 11th May if you want a practice ride out for the day.

Good luck with Normandy.

Well the Jeep starter is completely worn out,I've spoken to Jeffery Engineering who were very helpful.(And pleased that I want to replace the worn out support bush in the bell housing for the starter.) Carb is full of gunge and otherwise just needs a kit and clean.

A day off today to visit Bovington, Tiger day - Very impressive !

The G3l's will have a run out tomorrow to Cotswolds at War,maybe with a 16H or two in tow.

Tom M - Did we meet at the Double Hills Memorial last year ? I was on my G3L and my son was on his D14 Bantam. 

Welcome, Jon!  When you are in Normandy, you will likely come across the "NOBS" group of riders, based next to Juno Beach.  John Tinley is one of the leading lights in that group and a long time Matchless enthusiast.  I think he is still compiling a list of surviving WDG3Ls so will probably be interested in getting your bikes' details to add to that. He does not use this site, but does post on the BSA M20 site which is worth seeking out as it also includes all sorts on other WW2 bikes and their owners, events, buy and sell, etc.  Ferg

20 hours ago, matchlesswdg3 said:

Welcome, Jon!  When you are in Normandy, you will likely come across the "NOBS" group of riders, based next to Juno Beach.  John Tinley is one of the leading lights in that group and a long time Matchless enthusiast.  I think he is still compiling a list of surviving WDG3Ls so will probably be interested in getting your bikes' details to add to that. He does not use this site, but does post on the BSA M20 site which is worth seeking out as it also includes all sorts on other WW2 bikes and their owners, events, buy and sell, etc.  Ferg

Cheers, I'll have a look on the M20 site. Be nice to get our bikes on the list too.I'm sure the Normandy trip is going to be very interesting, plenty of things to see and people to catch up with.

NOBS will be based at St Aubin, but they usually meet up with the Etreham contingent at some point.    I cannot make it this year, but hope it all goes well and the Trump visit does not clog things up too much.  I remember standing around in the rain in the outskirts of Arromanche, waiting for ages for the Obama motorcade to clear off!

It goes with your Matchless Ferg..... Lightweight!!  But I hope I'm still riding and living the dream in France each year, when I get to your age😊 ......I've email Donald for his itinerary, in the hope that we can go in the opposite direction.  Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Our plans are moving forward,nearly a full day on our two G3L's, and  the very welcome sight of Stevo on his first test ride out on the newly built M20.Nearly 30 miles to get to us, so a reasonable test.It sounds lovely and starts first kick,been a while since I rode an M20,a very different ride to the Matchy ! 

WD bikes.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well  we made it home yesterday afternoon,just the one breakdown on the way back  ! Steve's Matchy cried enough just south of Salisbury and ended up in the van,he rode back to my place on my bike... The carbon brush in the mag had made loads of dust and was shorting the spark out,not something I can remember seeing before.It was a new one fitted before the trip... My bike went very well apart from the new voltage reg packing up,my brothers bike suffered a failed head gasket,(Also new) my son Jack's bike had the gearbox mainshaft nut come undone, allowing the clutch to move in and out. Easily fixed,as was the head gasket kindly donated by Chris Orchard, just my reg that couldn't be fixed.The other Steve's very freshly built M20 went very well and is getting better all the time.

The picture shows the Cull family's trio of old ladies back in the workshop drying out...

3 x G3l's.jpg

• Like 2