Gainsborough

Well done Richard

When I first worked for REME, I was in the RE plant section which was great as the variety of equipment and type of work was just up my street. I remember one of the last Gainsboroughs in service came in for repairs. A fascinating machine with its Wilson pre-selector transmission. I found out much later that the tractor was actually designed by Daimler. The old boy I worked with said you needed a 40 acre field to turn it around. Compared to the Allis Chalmers 645 he was not far out!

Your example looks well preserved.

regards  Richard

When there was a special Marshall theme at the Great Dorset Steam Fair a few years ago, I was hoping a Gainsborough might appear, I think there may have been one photo in the display marquee. I do not suppose that many were made as it was a special build for the military as far as I am aware.

I still cannot paste any links but if you search "Gainsborough loader" some good info comes up and the Marshall club info.

Apparently 10 Mk1 and 150 Mk2 were made for the MOD, the Mk1 with cable operation and the Mk2 upgraded to hydraulic.

Fitted with a Leyland 680/20 engine of 145hp.

Quite a beast, does it run?

• 2 weeks later...

well we have it moving thanks to a long chat with a chap called Mick Norton, Ex RE. forward and reverse work, gear selector works, lift and bucket works, steering kind of works, the pump squeals like its in pain, and we have to stop it to change from forward to reverse. and advise on the forward-reverse selection issue?